Oliver's 14th birthday

Oliver Twist woke up on his 14th birthday feeling grateful to be alive. As an orphan, birthdays were usually uneventful, but he had a friend who never failed to make him feel special.

The Artful Dodger was Oliver's closest friend in the streets of London. He was a pickpocket and a mischief-maker, but he had a heart of gold, especially when it came to Oliver.

As Oliver was getting dressed, he heard a faint tapping on his window. He walked over to see Dodger perched on the ledge.

"Happy Birthday, Oliver!" he whispered, a wide grin on his face.

"Dodger! What are you doing here?" Oliver whispered back, trying not to alert anyone in the house.

"I've come to give you your birthday present," The Artful Dodger said, slipping into the room.

Oliver watched in amazement as The Artful Dodger reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. He opened it to reveal a beautiful gold heart pendant on a chain.

"It's beautiful," Oliver said, his eyes wide.

"I wanted to give you something special to show you how much you mean to me," Dodger said, his eyes locked onto Oliver's.

Oliver felt his heart flutter as he looked into The Artful Dodger's eyes. He had always felt a special connection to him, but he had never dared to voice his feelings. The Artful Dodger had been the only constant in his life, and he knew that he cared for him deeply.

"I don't know what to say," Oliver said, feeling overwhelmed.

"You don't have to say anything," The Artful Dodger said, stepping closer. "Just know that I'm here for you, always."

Their eyes met again, and Oliver felt a sudden urge to take The Artful Dodger's hand. He did, and they stood there, holding hands, looking at each other in silence. Then, The Artful Dodger leaned in, and Oliver met him halfway, their lips meeting in a soft kiss.

It was brief, but it was enough to make Oliver's heart race. He looked at The Artful Dodger, who was smiling at him.

"Happy Birthday, Oliver," he said, kissing him again.

Oliver smiled, feeling more loved than he ever had. He knew that he had a friend for life in The Artful Dodger and that the gold heart pendant would always remind him of their special connection.