Like, Like

[two years ago]

Cas reached for the last slice of pizza from the box on the table. Dean had nodded his approval for Cas to have it, claiming he needed it more than Dean. Cas ate as his eyes stayed glued to the TV screen, not willing to risk looking to see Dean watching him. He had been doing that a lot lately, almost as if he couldn't believe Cas actually lived in the same apartment as him, just a wall separating their bedrooms.

"I don't think I understand this movie," Cas said when his food was gone. "If the mermaid's voice is gone, how can she make this prince fall in love with her?"

Dean chuckled. "Trust me, buddy, you don't need words to fall for someone."

Cas glanced at his friend, sitting next to him on the couch. Dean quickly looked away, clearing his throat.

"I can't believe you've never seen The Little Mermaid before. I think I took Sammy to see it when it came out, when we were at Bobby's and Dad couldn't tell us we couldn't."

Cas tilted his head, his signature pose for the confusion that often accompanied Dean's anecdotes. "Why would your father not approve of this film? It's for children, has engaging music, and doesn't seem to have any inappropriate content."

"Well," Dean said, "it's a princess movie."

Cas stared at him blankly.

"He would say it was for girls," Dean added. "Not for two boys. Give us the wrong idea."

"Ah," Cas replied. "Part of this theme." Cas had learned about Dean and Sam's father, John, over the year or so they had been friends. Everything he learned about him made him hate him more.

"How come you haven't seen it then?" Dean asked. Cas knew he didn't want to talk about his father anymore.

"My father didn't allow us to watch cartoons unless they also showed them at church. He thought we needed to be learning about real life, not fairy tales. 'Those movies won't keep you safe while the enemy is firing rounds at you from across a battlefield,'" Cas said with his air quotes. "He never was very understanding of the fact that we were children, not soldiers."

"We don't have to talk about this," Dean said, pausing the movie anyway. "I know you get anxious when you talk about him."

"It's okay, Dean," Cas said. He smiled at his best friend. "I think it's kind of funny both of our fathers were military men."

Dean smiled back. "Yeah, funny how that goes, right?"

"I would like to keep watching the movie, if that's okay. I'm quite interested to see if the prince will kiss Ariel if the crab starts to sing. Is he about to sing?"

"Oh you know it," Dean told him as he pressed play. "This song is good. Used to sing it to make fun of Sam in high school when he would talk about the girls he liked."

Cas watched the movie intently.

"And you don't know why, but you're dying to try, you wanna...kiss the girl," Dean sang along with the movie. He stole glances at Cas, who was enthralled by the scene.

Cas looked at him. "What?"

Dean shook his head. "Nothing, just thinking. Watch the movie, Cas."

Cas gave him a questioning look, but continued to watch the movie. As the song progressed, Dean became aware of his heartbeat. It was beating faster and harder than usual. A faint heat had risen to his face, probably making his cheeks and ears red. As Ariel and Prince Eric got closer to kissing, Cas had leaned closer to the TV, his eyes wide and mouth slightly agape. Dean stared at his mouth, swallowing hard. He scooted a little closer to Cas, his hand hovering near Cas's.