Chapter 2

(A/N: just realised I'll probably have to explain what the Beast class system is. Sorry, completely forgot to do this in the previous chapter ^^'

Okay, so. The Trite class is the weakest class, basically like insects. In the wise words of Viola, they "have a little power, but it's not even enough to bond with." Next is the Familiar class, which most kids choose to bond with. They're not that common but have a little more magical power than the Trites. Then there's the Prime class, basically the Familiar class but a little harder to find and a lot more powerful. 

After that comes the Mythic class, comprised of Beasts so rare they're talked about like myths-- really hard to find, incredibly powerful, and will almost certainly attack if provoked. And finally, we have the last class, the Legendary class, with only six in the class itself. They're the most powerful of all, basically, parts of the land themselves, with enough power to cause natural disasters. For instance, they can swallow ships whole, or cause landslides so massive they wipe out entire villages-- or, even crush those same villages under their feet. Cool, right? This will come in handy, I promise.)

As they entered Mandeep's classroom, Barclay was immediately drawn to a milk-white, cobra-like Beast coiling itself around Mandeep's arm. The Scholar had his back turned to the students, scribbling on some sort of black, chalky board, white robes swishing gracefully each time he moved. Though he was behind the lectern, far away from where the audience of students sat, the Beast on his arm still glittered beautifully, every scale shimmering in the light, milky head snaked towards the students curiously. 

Tadg pulled his chair out from under the table, the legs squealing loudly against the polished floor, and sat down, narrowing his eyes at the Beast. "I've seen that Beast before," he muttered to himself. Barclay could almost see the gears whirring in his mind-- Tadg knew more about Beasts than anyone else he'd ever met, so it was no surprise he was trying to place this new, mysterious one. "Where . . .?" 

While Tadg was completely focused on the unknown Beast, Barclay was very busy trying to be as quiet as he could, not wanting to draw attention to the fact that they were several minutes late. The auditorium did not help this endeavour at all; in fact, it amplified all the noise, making a single cough echo via the curved ceiling and the slightest squeal of a chair leg ricochet through the air. He winced as he sat down, knitting his fingers together anxiously. 

The walls were made of strips of glossy wood, looking like ribbons of brown silk running from the stone floor to the ceiling. Huge windows spanned either side of Mandeep, to the left and to the right, letting sunlight pour in and making every facet of the classroom sparkle like a diamond.

Mandeep didn't look an iota out of place in his elegant, snow-white robes, head tilted to the side, black hair swishing around his ears. Barclay could just see the glint of copper glasses through his hair. Pausing for a moment from his activity on the black board, he raised a hand and ran a finger affectionately over the snakelike Beast's head. The Beast purred, arching its white head into the air, smushing itself against its Keeper's hand. Its fangs and eyes, Barclay realised, were made of pure gold. 

"What were you doing?" Viola hissed at him, startling him out of his thoughts. 

"Wh-what?" Barclay whisper-yelped, so surprised by the sudden, violent whisper he almost fell out of his chair. "Oh. Sorry." 

Viola was Runa's third and final apprentice, and also Barclay's best friend. She wore her black hair coiled tightly in two puffy buns, and her scarlet cloak was covered in golden buttons that shone in the light (Mitzi, Viola's dragon, loved pecking at things, so Viola had started collecting buttons in the hope that Mitzi would peck at the buttons instead of her hair). "Mandeep was supposed to start ten minutes ago!"