Just Part of the Job

My eyes burned. My fingers thrummed. My spine ached. My head pounded. And for what? Oh yeah, searching for a freaking car.

My fingers flew smoothly over the keyboard as my eyes glued to the screen. It wasn't my car I was tracking. Heck, it wasn't anyone's I knew. So why was I looking for it? Because my brother asked, and because I was a good little sister, that's why. I glanced quickly at the clock across the room on the wall.

4:48 a.m.

I haven't slept for two nights.

I scooted my chair away from the desk and furiously rubbed at my eyes. My fingers wrapped around the water bottle by my side and I drank, the cool liquid burning, soothing, my throat.

I set it aside and went back to work.

I was close. So so close to finding it.

My mouse binged.

I got it.

A smile curved my lips. Perfect.

I quickly printed the information, a picture of the car, the code of it, and the house it parked at. Oh yes, my brother would be happy.

I stood up and placed the white pages into a vanilla folder, walking out of the room that lead to larger, spacious room. I walked into the hallway and down the hall to the stairs that lead down towards the third floor. Quickly, I crossed to my brother's room. Knocking lightly once,

I waited.

His door was flung open. His gaze scrutinized me. A perfect eyebrow rose.

I handed over the folder, professionally. My gaze scanned what I could see of his room. His grey bed. Blue walls. A white mask sitting on his bed.

I gulped the panic that surged through me every time I saw it. I've been seeing it for a few months now.

"You should go to bed," he said smoothly. "Isn't father making you go to that public school?"

My lip curled. That man was not my father, and he knew that. "Yes, Seth, He's making me go to that school. Why?"

"Because Scarlett, you need your sleep, even if you're some sort of genus. Your brain needs a break, and I know that you've been working for at least twenty-four hours straight."

"Says the one whose life is work." I said disdainfully.

"Scar, good night." I stared him down with narrowed eyes.

His voice held that authority that I recognized. He'd have me work tomorrow. I could tell by the tone of his voice.

I sighed, giving in and looking down. "Fine." I bit out.

I turned to leave when his voice stopped me. "Have a good first day of school Scar."

"Sure," I grounded through my teeth. "I'll do that."

Back up in my room, I looked around. My bed was white, walls a grey, one black, with an intricate design of silver curling in vines up the darker wall. It was fancy, too fancy for my taste.

I growled as I lay down. Of course I wanted to go to bed, I just hate losing arguments with Seth.

Not to mention, I'd be a new girl in the first month of school.

Why? Because I argued with the man that claims to my father and he thought I needed to

leave the private school and join the stupid public school. I'd stick out like a sore thumb.

If only he knew what I did in my free time when I wasn't practicing for useless concerts he was determined was the only thing I was good at.

I felt as though blackness swarmed me when my thoughts were drowned out by harsh dreams.