Chapter Thirteen

Giving the anniversary couple pride of place at the top of the table, where they were surrounded by their immediate family, the celebrations started.

With their long time close friends, including Ricardo’s Father, getting up, giving a small speech, then proposing a toast to them.

Melanie found herself moved by Thomas Sanchez wanting to get up to talk, especially since his he was still recovering from his stroke, and his speech was slightly slurred. But he had that stubborn Sanchez streak, that refused to let anything like illness get the better of him.

He mentioned his close friendship with her Grandfather George, claiming it was the best agreement they had ever made, when they decided to marry their son to his granddaughter.

Melanie felt her face redden She ended up lowering her eyes on the table in front of her, remembering she and Ricardo hadn’t exactly agreed with these sentiments at the time.

Sometimes it seemed an eternity ago, and other times it just felt like yesterday.

She was wondering what was going through her husband’s mind during the speech.

She found out soon enough, as the speeches and toasts came to an end, and some of their circus friends had gathered together to form a band, to provide the music for the occasion. With accordions and guitars and a violin, so now everyone demanded they had get up for the first dance together.

Melanie felt a little reluctant at first. She still hated being in the spotlight, and the centre of attention. .

But she could hardly refuse under the circumstances, especially with every one cheering and urging them up into the space in the ring that had been made for the occasion.

So when Ricardo smiling, took her hand, and pulled her up from her seat, she had no choice but to let him lead her up onto the makeshift dance floor.

“I don’t think I have ever done this before,” she told him sheepishly, the only time she had ever danced, had been with her Grandfather, when she had been about fourteen during his birthday celebration.

But this was quite different, and all eyes were on them.

“Well this is as good time to start as any,” Ricardo replied grinning. His hands slid around her waist, pulling her close, so she rested her hands on his shoulders, as the musicians played a slow waltz. Her eyes nervously concentrating on their moving feet, as they both started to move to the music, so she wouldn’t tread on his toes if she could help it

“This has turned out quite an evening,” Ricardo remarked, “at least we were right about our suspicions that was something up. But I never thought it would be this,” he then admitted.

“It was a lovely surprise though,” Melanie smiled, looking up at him, “And I was so happy to see your mother and father here. That was the best thing of all”

“Yes,” Ricardo glanced across at his parents, “my father is looking well, despite his recent illness. I am glad to see, and his speech has almost returned to normal again”

“It was good of him getting up and giving that toast to us, I have become very fond of your parents over the years,” Melanie said

“I think they have come to look upon you, like another one of their daughters,” Ricardo replied, “ I guess the only one who ever had trouble accepting you into the family was me ironically”

His dark eyes studied her upturned face solemnly. then she felt his hold on her waist tighten, as he pulled her even closer to him, “But my father was right; it turned out to be the best thing he and your Grandfather could have done, even if I didn’t appreciate it at first,” he finished with a faint smile.