05

chapter five

             MURPHY POTTER skipped out of the castle with her long ponytail swaying behind her head. Lessons had just finished for the day and the September sun was still high in the sky and beating scorching rays across the grounds.

Whenever it is hot at Hogwarts all of the students make the most of it by spending their free time outside at every chance they get, it's extremely rare for it to be so hot in Scotland — and the weather is bound to turn chilly in no time as the days in September pass by.

She strolled over towards the Quidditch stands so that she could watch her brother hold the Gryffindor trials. The team needed two new beaters, a keeper and a chaser as two of the players had left in June after finishing their exams and graduated and the other two players left the team as they wanted to focus on their seventh year.

Murphy doesn't have the foggiest clue about Quidditch, she's only taking time out of her day to watch the trials as she has nothing else to do and she wants to spend some time in the sun before it turns into thunderstorms and breezy autumn days.

She climbed all of the way up the stairs so she could sit down in the stands, she could already hear her brother barking orders at nervous second and third years who were trying out for the open positions.

James had been made captain two years ago at the start of his fifth year and he takes the role excruciatingly seriously, as well as Marlene Mckinnon who has been on the team as long as he has. There are now only three seventh years in the team, those two and Fabian Prewett who is one of the keepers.

Murphy clicked her tongue against the back of her teeth when she noticed how scarce the stands were in terms of spectators. Lily Evans was watching along with a few of her fellow seventh year classmates, she waved at Murphy but didn't call her over so Murphy waved back and carried on looking for somewhere else to sit. Sat at the front of the stand was a handful of third years from a variety of different houses, presumably watching their friends try out. Murphy frowned, instead she walked to the very back of the stands and approached the only other person who wasn't talking to anyone.

Sirius Black looked at her. He had changed out of his uniform and was wearing a pair of shorts and a shirt with a muggle band on that his parents certainly never would have approved of if he was still living at Grimmauld Place. Strands of his dark hair satin sat messily against his red cheeks. His hair hadn't quite grown long enough to reach his jaw, which is how he normally likes to have it.

"How's your nose?" Murphy asked as she sat down beside him, she glanced at the pitch to see that James looked excruciatingly frustrated with the younger students, fortunately Marlene Mckinnon looked to have a much kinder face as she spoke to them. "I assume it's fine as you didn't come back to the hospital wing."

Sirius nodded, the corners of his eyes and underneath his eyes were burdened with a yellowing, purple bruise - he also had one across the bridge of his nose which was accompanied by a small scratch.

"It feels fine, except for the fact I've lost my sense of smell."

Murphy turned to look at him. She opened her mouth to give him an earful, but his grey eyes crinkled and he began to laugh.

"I'm joking," he said. "I can smell your extremely strong perfume perfectly fine. Is it vanilla?"

Murphy rolled her eyes but nodded.

"So," Sirius patted his thigh. "Did you come here to ask about my nose?"

She shook her head, a little bit too hard.

"I wanted to sit in the sun, but I couldn't think of anywhere to go that wouldn't be littered with first years." She told him, she extended her legs so they rested against the bench in front of them. "I have awfully pale lags, so I wanted to sit up here and tan them and you were the only person who wasn't already talking to someone."