xxi. return to coccham

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

They sit around the boat as Uhtred sleeps, Skade drinks from water from the river as Finan is huddled at the back of the boat and the others are in the front. Luna was cuddled in Finan's arms as Sihtric cradled their children. Along the way, they had stopped so they could retrieve her from the Mercian estate. Luna was beginning to doze off when she heard Finan inhale sharply, she looked up at the man and noticed Finan was watching horrified at the sight of Uhtred kissing Skade, she gagged at Uhtred sucking the blood from the wound.

He's lost his damn mind.

Eventually, they arrive back in Coccham. Thank the Gods, she was restless and the twins wanted to be as close to Sihtric as possible and that's not something you can safely do on a boat.

"Is the idea we walk into Coccham like we've never been away?" Finan asked from where he walked with Uhtred. Luna held Torunn gently as she looked to her ex for an answer, Sihtric was giggling behind her when Tormund bit Osferth's finger.

"Yes."

"Directly to the hall?" Finan questioned in disbelief.

"Yes."

"And if another lord resides there?" Finan asked quietly, he shot her a worried look but she just shrugged unbothered.

"We ask him to leave, my friend." Uhtred spoke nonchalantly.

"I can do that. Are we to expect a wedding, lord?" Finan asked as he looked back at Skade. "We did not risk our lives for you to hump the bitch. Or do you plan to kill her with your cock?" Finan spoke sharply and then moved closer to Luna when she scoffed in disgust.

"I plan to see my children." Uhtred said dismissively and looked to a man who gained his attention. She couldn't help but be hurt by the statement, she had preached about his tendency to abandon his children and only now he considers that?

"Lord, you will not remember me." A man claims as he bows to him.

"I remember you. You're Edwin. You're married to Mildwynn." Uhtred claimed happily as he patted the man's back.

"Lord, they have taken more than half our winter store. Animals and grains. They say it is to feed Alfred's army, but we will certainly starve." Edwin said in a panic. Luna scowls at the sight of the king's men, she just wants to sleep.

"Who did this?"

"They're at the hall, lord. King Alfred would not have ordered this." Edwin said. Uhtred and his group walked to the gates of the hall and noticed guards were placed outside. Skade curls her hand around her arm with a smirk, if she wasn't holding her daughter the seer would be dead. Screw whatever fragile friendship they share.

"Stand aside, I want no bloodshed, no man killed." Uhtred said and sighed when they refused to move.

"He said stand aside. Now!" The guards look at one another before moving. "Thank you. I should not need to raise my voice." Sihtric says softly he turns to her with a smile and kisses her head as he mutters to his son in Danish as they enter. Sihtric moves to the table to eat and drink ale as the priest takes notice of them. Luna sat next to him and watched with a love truck expression when Sihtric whispered to both children quietly. Finan caught her eye and she noticed he felt the same, Sihtric with children was the greatest thing to come from this.

"Uhtred. Uh, what is the meaning of this invasion?"

"This is my home." Uhtred stated.

"We are here by right, on the king's business." The priest said as he stood up.

"You are stealing food from the mouths of the poor." Uhtred said as he looked at the priest in disdain.

"An army needs to be fed."

"As do the priests, it seems." Uhtred says as he watches Skade stab a piece of meat on a priest's plate.

"You are lucky it is not your hand." Skade sneered at the man as she leaned in close. Finan rolled his eyes at the seer and turned back to Uhtred.

"We want no disharmony here today." Uhtred turns and sees a cross hanging above the doorway.

"What is that?" Uhtred questioned.

"Well, you know what it is."

"Take it down. Take it down or I will make a gift of you to Skade." Uhtred threatened as Skade walked behind him in interest. Luna laid her head on Sihtric's arm as she fought the urge to curl up in his lap and sleep.

"I will not do as you ask. I cannot."

"Lord, see it as a piece of wood, nothing more." Finan stated moving close to them.

"It is a holy cross."

"Bishop Erkenwald, I suggest you shut your holy mouth." Finan interrupted sensing the growing tension.

"And take it down."

"Or I...I can just take it down, lord?" Osferth added softly pointing up at it. Luna found his shyness adorable.

"You will do nothing." Uhtred demanded making Osferth nod.

"I realize you are looking to find a reason to kill me, and I would prefer to do as you ask. I am not a fool, but I cannot deny my faith. The king will hear of it, God would know of—" Uhtred cut in with anger.

"The king has told me many times that this is a pagan's hall. You will take it down."

"It is my cross, lord. My doing. I put it there and I would like it to remain there unless, of course, your plan is to once again be the Lord of Coccham. I meant no insult." Hild said from the entryway, Uhtred smiled softly just as Skade grunted and the cross fell. The babies began to cry from the noise and the sharp glare Finan sent the seer could have killed her right on the spot if she made eye contact. Finan rushed to his wife and gently took Torunn from here as Sihtric shushed their son, they had decided to let her sleep and they would watch the children.

"Now, perhaps, we may eat." Skade says from above. Finan moves to dust off the cross as he picks it up.

"You may take it." Uhtred says as Hild and Skade stare one another down.

"When you leave, you will take only half of what you have gathered. I understand an army must be fed, but my village will not starve." Uhtred demands looking at the Bishop.

"The king will not approve."

"The king is a ghost! Nothing more than that." Uhtred shouts making the men whisper amongst themselves.

"Lord, may we speak further, privately?" Hild asked and the two left the hall as Skade stood by the door watching.