Chapter Nine- Heresy

Sarah sat on the ledge on the back of the ambulance as a paramedic gently dabbed away the congealed blood from her forehead and face. Sarah stared at the backs of her hands. She shivered as a cold wind whipped around her. She could not feel the dull throb from her wounds. What she felt instead was pure boiling rage that their killer had managed to flee. The sounds of stones crunching under boots attracted her attention away from her hands. Her bleary eyes followed the scuffed leather boots, up the black dress trouser legs, the navy button down shirt to Luke’s rugged features. His eyebrows were raised in concern. Sarah set her jaw and pursed her lips as she stared back at the ground.
“How badly were you hurt?” asked Luke as he slid his blazer from his shoulders and draped it around Sarah. Her thin frame was lost under the heavy fabric of the jacket. Sarah poked her hands out from under the jacket and pulled it tighter around herself.
“Mild concussion. I’ll live. Can’t say the same for our suspect though when I get my hands on him again.” Luke let out a deflated sigh and rubbed his brow with the pads of his fingertips. The flashing red lights from the ambulance merged with the blue lights from the surrounding police vehicles lit up the otherwise dark buildings around them.
“We’ll check nearby emergency rooms for anyone matching the description you gave. You managed to get a shot in so he’s wounded.” Sarah laughed darkly, her eyes transfixed on a single stone on the road. Luke folded his arms across his chest, his skin bristling with the cold and tapped his foot in annoyance. Sarah’s eyes traced across the road to the bobbing boot. A gust of wind blew some of her hair into eyes, black strands clinging to her eyelashes.
“Snap out of it!” yelled Luke in frustration, his usually serene brown eyes blazing with anger. Sarah noted the way he clenched his jaw. It was a side of Luke she had never witnessed and she was not sure how she felt about it. For the first time since their failed attempt at taking down their suspect, Sarah stared into Luke’s eyes. There was indeed anger there, though there was also disappointment. She knew deep down that Luke had been right- she was not in the best of health for undercover operations, and they would be more likely to find their suspect given that he would be sure to attend an emergency room with a gunshot wound to his left shoulder but her ego got the better of her. Sarah sighed. She hated being wrong and hated admitting it even  more so. Her features softened.
“I’m sorry. You were right, Luke.” Luke’s foot immediately stopped tapping. His eyebrows shot up and his mouth gaped. It was as though his world had just flipped over. Luke’s arms dropped to his sides. He curled his left arm around Sarah’s shivering shoulders, drawing her closer to his hip. Sarah nestled into the touch.
“Come on. Let’s take you home.” Sarah nodded softly as she allowed Luke to ease her into a standing position. His blazer almost reached her knees.

The pair drove in silence. Sarah gazed out of the passenger side window at the trees and buildings zipping past. Their surroundings blurred into a multitude of colors. Periodically, Luke would glance over at her. He had muted the police radio in the center console to allow Sarah some peace and quiet. As they reached the parking lot of Sarah’s apartment complex, she turned her head to face Luke. The nearby street lamp cast an eerie orange glow across the side of her face.
“Luke?” Luke turned to face the small voice next to him, his hands still gripping the steering wheel.
“Yeah?”
“Thank you.” Luke raised an eyebrow.
“For what?”
“Everything.” Luke swallowed thickly. He quickly pulled into a parking space and turned off the engine.
“Let me walk you up.” Luke exited the car first, then opened the passenger side door. He extended his hand for Sarah to grab onto. He assisted her out of the car and draped his arm around her shoulders once again to guide her into the complex and up to her apartment. Sarah moved sluggishly, her eyes downcast. At her apartment door, Sarah dropped the cold steel of her door key in Luke’s clammy palm. Luke pursed his lips and slid the key into the lock of the door, turning it with a soft click. He guided her gently into the hallway and closed the door behind him, streaks of orange lighting casting a shadow against the back of the front door. The street lamps highlighted the shadows around Luke’s eyes and under his sharp cheekbones.