5. Kartik

Naira opens her mouth. Then closes it again as if she can't find the correct words to say. She looks at me in disbelief.

"Mr. Goenka, do you think this is some kind of a joke?"

"Miss Singhania, do I look like a man who jokes?"

Naira's jaw becomes tight and I notice her hand slowly choking the cup in front of her. Her voice dips into a low, dangerous tone. Nothing like her usual airy, sweet voice.

"Then I can assure you Kartik, I will not be falling in love with you."

My chest tightens at her words, but I wave the unknown feeling away.

"Good. Then I agree." I sign the contract and turn the papers towards her. She looks at it momentarily and then picks up the pen and signs.

We both rise from our seats. Naira extends her hand out toward me. This time, I shake her hand. As soon as my large palm covers her soft, warm one, a spark flies from my hand to my spine at the contact. The way Naira shudders makes me wonder if she feels it too.

She pulls her hand back swiftly and puts on that tight, fake smile I'm beginning to hate.

"Looking forward to working with you Mr. Goenka."

"Like-wise, Miss Pink Drink."

Naira's eyes narrow for a split second before her lips form into a smirk.

"Now for my second condition."

*******************

"Tushar, this is Kartik and he would like to apologize for his behavior." Naira gives me a victorious look, amusement dancing in her eyes.

I'm standing in the cafe where we met, in front of the employee who messed up my drink order. Apparently, Naira's second condition is that I have to apologize to the employee, Tushar. Of course, she knows his name.

Tushar looks between me and Naira. "No, no there's no need for that sir."

Naira holds up her hand to silence him. "Yes, there is Tushar. Mr. Lucifer here needs to learn that it's not okay to go around hurting people's feelings. Just because he doesn't have a heart, doesn't mean other people don't either."

"I apologize for my behavior the other day," I mumble.

Naira cups her ear and leans toward me. "What's that? Were you saying something?"

I clear my throat and grit through my teeth. "I apologize for my behavior the other day."

Tushar looks at me dumbfounded while Naira grins, the faintest dimples appearing near the corners of her full lips.

"It's no problem, sir. I'm sorry about the drink mix-up. It was my fault." He holds up a cup to me. "I made you an apology drink. Black tea, no sugar." He gives me a shy smile.

I take the cup and take a sip of the drink.

Holy shit.

It was the best tea I've had in my life. Ever since I stopped having sugar, I've made do with the raw bitterness of plain, black tea. But this one....the natural herbal scent floated into my nostrils while the hint of bitterness, mixed with the freshness of the tea leaves, coated my tastebuds....woah. Maybe Tushar isn't as incompetent as I thought.

Naira takes a sip of her stupid pink drink and gives me a knowing smile. "See, sometimes being nice has its rewards."

I can't help but wonder what planet she's from. Because she sure as hell isn't from the same traitorous and lackluster world I'm living in.

**********************

"Wow, I never thought I would have to hear the news from a magazine article."

I looked up from the papers on my desk to the man standing in the doorway of my office.

"What are you doing here?" My voice echoes loudly against the walls.

My brother walks towards me, the metal zippers on his leather jacket clanking against each other.

"When were you planning on telling us about this?" He drops a magazine on top of my desk and takes a leisurely seat opposite me. I look down at the massive picture of Naira and myself photoshopped onto the cover of Vogue India.

'Business Tycoon Kartik Goenka Engaged to Diamonds Heiress Naira Singhania!'

The headline on the cover makes blood rush to my head, blurring the edges of my vision. I grab the magazine, crumpling its edges as I flip it open to the page with our article. I'm greeted with a picture of Naira and me at the cafe. Naira is giving me the brightest smile as I take a sip of my drink.

'Kartik Goenka has been spotted at a small cafe in Mumbai with Naira Singhania, the expected CEO of Singhania Diamonds. They have been seen enjoying a cup of coffee together in the mid-afternoon. A potential merger between Goenka Jewlers and Singhania Diamonds has been rumored to be in the talks. We wonder if these two diamonds in the rough have fallen in love in the midst of this business deal or if the deal is a result of their relationship. Nevertheless, we know that this is the couple of the decade!'

I slam the magazine down onto the desk. "Where did you get this Shubham?" Blood thunders in my ears.

"It's everywhere, Bhaiya. Is this true?"

I stay silent and Shubham's curiosity increases.

"So it is true. Why didn't you tell us? Why didn't you tell me? You used to tell me everything. Now you barely even speak to me." Shubham's eyes lose their usual light. "What happened to us, Bhaiya? Ever since--"

"What happened is I grew up and you didn't." I cut him off before he could remind me of the worst moment of my life. "When will you learn to give up these childish antics and put your focus into this business?"

Shubham raises his eyebrow. "We're not talking about me here. Don't try to change the subject."

I'm at a loss for words. How did this even happen? Only two days ago, Naira and I signed the final contracts, making both the merger and our fake relationship final. And now this? It was never meant to be public.

"You need to leave Shubham. I have work to do."

His mouth opens as if he's about to protest, but then closes again as he stands. "Fine. But don't think you'll escape from Dadi."

My muscles tense. Shubham turns back one last time before walking out of my office. "Vaise, she's very pretty. I can't wait to meet Bhabhi." He gives me a salute before leaving my sight.

My hands ball into fists. He's not wrong. She's gorgeous. But hearing it come out of someone else's mouth makes my stomach churn for some odd reason. I grab my inhaler from my drawer and take two puffs. I need to speak to her. Except, there's just one small problem.

I don't have my fake fiancee's number.