Chp 33

I didn't realize I was crying until a soft tongue licked away my tears. I lifted my head, my eyes meeting Everett's wolf eyes but instead of the fear I expected to feel, all I felt was comfort. Safety.
"Thanks Rett." I mumbled, reaching my hand up to scratch his ears. His tailed wagged excitedly and he laid down, setting his giant head in my lap.

"Look at them. They make such a cute couple." My gelding nickered softly, nudging Everett's geldings neck. My cheeks warmed at his bluntness but I continued petting Everett's head, thankful he couldn't speak to horses like I could.
"Agreed. She better not leave him. And same goes for him, if he hurts her in any way I'm sure we can get the other horses to kick his tail. Especially the mares, they loved her."

I shook my head in embarrassment, hoping to shake it away. We sat like that for a while before Everett shifted back and sat beside me, taking my hands in his and rubbing his thumb along the back of them.
"Can I ask you something crazy?" He asked, staring into my eyes as if I were the most important thing in his life.
"I guess." I replied softly.
"Will you be my girlfriend?"

My eyes widened in surprise, but he continued watching me, his face blank.
"Rett...."
"Please, be honest. If you'd rather not be with a werewolf I totally get it, though not really." He gave me a nervous smile.
"I've liked you for years, basically since we met. You being my mate has very little to do with this, this is about how we feel. Not what the bond wants us to feel."

How do I feel? Do I like him enough to agree to being his girlfriend? What should I do about the mate thing?
Relax Juliet, I have a good feeling about this.
How am I supposed to relax when he stares at me like I'm everything he could ever want? What about you? What am I supposed to tell him if he finds out?
The truth. He deserves to know. Especially if I'm understanding this mate thing correctly

"Juliet? Are you ok?" I blinked back into reality and gave him a small smile.
"I'm fine, just thinking."
"What do you say?"
"What if there's something super important I haven't told you but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable to tell you yet......" I mumbled, wringing my fingers anxiously.
"Then I'll wait until you are, I don't care how long it takes Juliet, I won't leave you for anything."

~~~~

After our chat we talked about random things, mostly school or our families, before it got too late and Everett decided it was time to leave. We rode back to his place, got the horses settled in and drove back to my house. The drive was quiet, but it wasn't uncomfortable, it was nice honestly. We pulled into the driveway where Raven was standing impatiently with Solaris, who's ears were flat against his head.

Everett hopped out of the truck the moment it was in park, ran around the front and opened my door for me. I laughed softly and allowed him to take my hand to help me down.
"M'lady." He bowed lowly, giving me a grin.
I rolled my eyes at him, but smiled nonetheless.
"Rise, you dork." I pat him on the head and made my way over to my baby.

"What are doing out here so late?" I asked, patting Sol's neck.
"This beast of a horse wouldn't relax." Raven huffed, giving him a glare.
"Sol." I chastised, raising an accusatory finger.
"I was nervous! You said he's a wolf." Solaris tried to defend himself with a drawn out whinny.
"I said werewolf you weirdo." I hissed quietly, though I'm sure Everett was hearing me talk to myself.

"That's even worse. How am I supposed to sleep when you could be getting eaten?"
"I won't be getting eaten any time soon Sol. I can't leave you like......" he sighed and lowered his head.
"I'm sorry. I appreciate you worrying for me, but really you don't need to. I can protect myself if I need to."

"I know, but you're my momma, what else am I supposed to do when you leave?"
"Distract yourself. I know Kin wouldn't mind playing with you."
"He's no fun, all he wants to do is talk to and chase the fillies."
"You'll be that way soon enough buddy, it's a stallion thing."
"I don't want to be like him." I snickered softly and shook my head before turning to Raven.
"Can you put him away? I'm exhausted."
"Sure Jules."
"Thanks Rav."

"I do expect a complete update on tonight's events by the way."
"I knew you'd say that."
"I'm your big brother, of course I want to know about your date."
"You're impossible."
"So, sue me."
"I'm thinking about it."
"You couldn't. I'm your brother."
"I ain't no drama queen, so clearly I can."
"So rude."

Raven led the anxious colt to the barn with a dramatic huff and Everett -who was observing quietly- walked me to the door.
"I had a lot of fun tonight. Thank you." I started appreciatively.
"Thank you for agreeing to come. It meant a a lot."  He waved off my thanks and gave me a quick hug. Surprisingly, I hugged him back.
"I'll see you at school?"
"Of course. I couldn't leave you hanging on the edge and waiting for your knight in shining armor to rescue you."
"Don't fashion me as a maiden in need of saving."

We pulled away from each other and he gave me a signature smile that made my heart flutter before he began walking down the steps of the porch.
"Hey Rett?" I called, my stomach twisting into knots nervously. He was quick to spin around, eyes sparkling with confusion.
"Yeah?"
"I'd love to be your girlfriend."