Prompt #7 - mysterythillerin

The day seemed to drag on forever, and of course, I got stuck with the tedious job. I only get a bit of entertainment when someone tells me about a crime book they read. I cracked open my new packet of cigarettes (at least I'm getting paid for this tedious work) and my lighter before lighting one. I know I should burn one inside, but I'm addicted.

I opened a file that sat nearby me all day while I watched for this Unsub, and re-read the contents for the 60th time. I needed to cover my bases after all. I continued smoking, apparently, this killer mutilates people with the way characters are killed in the books, and he leaves notes behind on the bodies. I look up to see him, Robert. He always acts suspicious around here. I told my chief and he can agree. I look over at the time and realise how late it is. Dammit. It's past closing time. I shoo everyone out and apologise before locking the library doors.

...

I rocked up the next morning to the library seeing police tape and an unlocked door. I swore to myself and walked towards the police coming out of the entrance and showing them my badge from under my shirt.

"Owen, what the hell happened?" I asked the guy with brown hair standing over a covered body setting my bag down behind the desk I usually sat at.

"It's Robert. The guy you thought was the Unsub. He was killed by him." Owen replied and I looked at the covered body sighing. How was I to find the Unsub now? My only lead is dead. I walked around the library, this case just got harder. It was already hard with the Unsub killing both men and women in the order of the alphabet. I noticed something, a book beginning with the letter 'S' was missing. The Unsub was already on the move again.

I ran back to the desk I'd placed my bag and looked through the computer, checking if anyone had returned a book with a title that started with 'R' and I found the name. Zander Banks. He must be the Unsub.

Took a couple of minutes but soon we were all at the front of Zander's house. I kicked the door in looking around as the team funnelled through the house searching. Eventually, I came across him, reading the book he'd checked out from the library. Summoner. I arrested him and put him in the police car.

"He's gone. that's good." Owen said as he walked over to me and I sighed again.

"Yeah, but not after he killed 18 people," I said walking to a different car. I knew this wouldn't be the end of the torture. Someone else would step up to take his mantle.