GLOSSARY

ADONIS – A most handsome man and eventually, the Greek god of male beauty, he became a lover of Apollo, Dionysus, Persephone and most importantly, Aphrodite. The two latter fought over him, until it was decided that for a third of the year, he would stay with Persephone, a third with Aphrodite and then choosing with whom he would stay, another third he stayed with Aphrodite.

AMYCLAS – A Mycenaean King of Sparta.

ANTEROS – The winged god of reciprocated love, often considered the twin of Eros, other times considered the child of Poseidon and Nerites (the only son of Nereus and Doris), the latter being Aphrodite's ex whom had been turned into a shellfish upon Aphrodite's rise to the surface when he refused to follow her on the account of his family living under the sea and whom Poseidon had turned back into the god of shellfish and fallen in love with. Anteros, as with the other erotes, was given up to be raised by Peitho, the goddess of persuasion, seduction and consent, daughter of Aphrodite and Dionysus and the wife of Hermes.

APHRODITE – The Olympian goddess of love, beauty and procreation.

APOLLO – The Olympian god of the sun, light, archery, music, plague, medicine, art, prophecy and truth.

ARGALUS – A Mycenaean King of Sparta, son of Amyclas and Diomede.

BOREAS – God of the north wind, member of the anemoi.

CALLIOPE – The muse of epic poetry.

CHLORIS – The goddess of flowers.

CLIO – The muse of history, mother of Hyacinthus.

CYNORTES – A Mycenaean King of Sparta, second son of Amyclas and Diomede.

DEMETER – The Olympian goddess of agriculture.

DIOMEDE – A Mycenaean Queen of Sparta.

ERATO – The muse of love poetry.

ENDYMION – A Mycenaean King of Olympia, who was put to eternal sleep by Zeus, so that Selene may repeatedly violate him in the night. He was loved by Hypnos, who although loyal to his wife, the goddess of relaxation and daughter of Hera and Dionysus, Pasithea, enjoyed gazing upon him and opened his eyes so that he may look at them.

EROS – The god of passionate love and sexual desire, leader of the erotes.

EURUS – The god of the east wind, member of the anemoi.

EURYNOMOS – The chthonic god of rotting corpses. He eats them too.

EUTERPE – The muse of tragedy and flute playing.

GAIA – The primordial goddess of the earth.

HARPALUS – A Mycenaean Prince of Sparta, son of Amyclas and Diomede.

HEDYLOGOS – The god of sweet talk, one of the erotes.

HEGESANDRE – A Mycenaean Princess of Sparta, daughter of Amyclas and Diomede. She was the wife of Argeus, who was served as a meal to the gods by his father, Tantalus.

HELIOS – The primordial sun titan.

HERMAPHRODITUS – The god of intersex, transgender and genderqueer people. He was violated in a Turkish lake by a nymph called Salmacis and by her request, their bodies were fused together to make him an intersex god. He is the son of Aphrodite and Hermes, one of the erotes and the husband of a satyr called Silenus.

HIMEROS – The god of pressing desire, one of the erotes, also considered a twin of Eros and one of Aphrodite's first five children.

HYACINTHUS – A Mycenaean Prince of Sparta, for whom the flower is named.

HYMENAIOS – The god of wedding hymns and the bridal torch. He is an erote but instead a child of Magnes of Magnesia and an ex-lover of Apollo.

HYPNOS – The personification of sleep, a son of Nyx and Erebus and father of the Oneiroi.

KARPOS – The deity of fruit, a child of Chloris and Zephyros. He once loved a demi-god named Kalamos, who drowned in a river on their date. She was a seasonal goddess, accompanied by Thallo and Auxo.

LAODAMIA – A Mycenaean Princess of Sparta, the daughter of Amyclas and Diomede.

MAGNES – A Mycenaean King of Magnesia, which he founded and named after himself.

MELPOMENE — The muse of chorus and tragedy.

MNEMOSYNE – The titaness of memory and mother of the muses by Zeus.

MORPHEUS – The god of dreams, son of Hypnos and Pasithea, leader of the oneiroi.

NOTUS – God of the south wind and member of the anemoi.

OURANIA – The muse of astronomy, mother of Hymenaios and Linus.

PERSEPHONE – The goddess of spring and Queen of the Underworld.

PIERUS – A Mycenaean Prince of Magnesia, youngest son of Magnes.

POLYBOEA – A Mycenaean Princess of Sparta, daughter of Amyclas and Diomede. She remained a virgin her whole life and thus, Athena and Artemis vouched for her entrance into Elysium.

POLYHYMNIA – The muse of sacred poetry, sacred hymns, eloquence and pantomime.

POTHOS – The god of longing, member of the erotes.

SELENE – The titaness of the moon.

TERPSICHORE – The muse of dance.

THALIA – The muse of comedy and idyllic poetry.

THAMYRIS – A bard and grandson of Apollo, who was blinded by the muses over Apollo's competitiveness for the heart of Hyacinthus.

ZEPHYROS – The god of the west wind, member of the anemoi.

OTHERS

ANEMOI – A group of winged wind deities.

ANTHESTERION – The eighth month of the Athenian calendar, second month of winter, set in February/March.

CHARIOT – A half-wagon, basically. Look it up.

CHTHONIC – Of the Underworld.

DEITY – A gender neutral term for a god/goddess.

ELYSIUM – Eternal paradise within the Underworld for the greatest of heroes.

EROTES – A group of winged gods of love.

GAMELION – The seventh month of the Athenian calendar, the first month of winter, set in January/February.

KYLIX – A Mycenaean wine cup, generally painted with patterns or made of gold.

MEGARON – A room in the centre of a Mycenaean palace, with a throne at one end and a hearth in the middle. Court was usually held here.

MUSES – The goddesses of the arts.

THEOPHORIA – A celebration between the cults of Persephone and Demeter during Persephone's descent into the Underworld, part of the Eleusinian Mysteries (don't ask what those are because nobody knows).