𝟬𝟬𝟲. as the masks come on, secrets come out

chapter six

chapter six.
( as the masks come on, secrets come out )
S1E6 — the handmaiden's tale.

              PRETENTIOUS OR NOT, OPHELIA BAUDELAIRE-HUGHES HAD to admit, a masquerade ball seemed like her type of event

PRETENTIOUS OR NOT, OPHELIA BAUDELAIRE-HUGHES HAD to admit, a masquerade ball seemed like her type of event. The alluring secrecy of it all, how it allowed for many to say what they had feared the most to disclose, like a sinner under confession. The knowledge that no one knew who anyone was made it easier to portray the inner feelings and emotions one had hidden for the longest time.

Ophelia liked the idea of the masquerade ball, as it gave her an opportunity to find a new outfit, have some fun with her friends, but also try to repair the damage that had been caused with Lorenzo and Astoria, all through their mutual adoration for fashion and parties. It would hard, she knew that for a fact, but she was determined to make things right with them, no matter how difficult or long it would take.

Residing in Blair's bedroom with Serena, Ophelia lounged on the Waldorf's bed, flicking through Vogue, whilst Serena attempted to wrap her head around the concept of the looming ball that was coming up. She chuckled at Serena's scepticism at it all, how the glitz and glam of a party for the elitists could be so enchanting yet ostentatious at the same time.

"So, Kati mentioned something about a custom-made corset, and I hear there are wigs involved?" Serena listed, incredulous.

"It's a masquerade," Blair stated the obvious. "You have to conceal your identity."

"That's, like, the whole point of it," Ophelia snickered, and Blair pulled a face at her quip, and continued on.

"But, I do have something special planned for Nate tonight," Blair revealed, unable to mask her excitement. "It's a game. A scavenger hunt." Discreetly, Ophelia and Serena shared a look with one another, curious to know whether their best friend had lost her mind during the night. "Nate starts the night with a clue, which leads him to a lady-in-waiting, who gives him the clue to the next lady —"