CHAPTER 9

HEAVEN AND BACK.

Next morning, the next day. The one kiss on the forehead never left your head. You couldn't help but think back to it constantly, even when it wasn't brought up.

Maybe it was a sign? Perhaps it was a stretch, but you had hope that it might mean that he liked you back. Even if he did though, your parents had always said to keep other options, but you couldn't. You've tried many times, but no one else was able to make you feel the way that Chishiya did.

You'd be able to see him sometime today, maybe during breakfast if you were lucky. On the same topic, your coach wanted you down for breakfast in ten minutes.

'Man, it's always like I'm racing against the clock.'

After putting your room card into your backpack, you opened the door. You put the other strap of your backpack onto the other shoulder and continued down the hall to the elevators.

Since no one would typically be up at 7 while on vacation, you didn't see many people in the hallway. Most of the doors you passed still had the plastic DND sign hanging from their door handles. If only your coach would let you sleep in like how all these other people would be able to. There was no way that any of the other players would be up to play at this early hour anyways.

As you rode down the empty elevator, you stared at the few advertisements that were taped up onto the wall. Most of them were advertising the tournament that you'd be playing in the following week, the Australian Open. The other one or two were in some other places where people could spend time while on vacation in the area.

Ding!

The elevator door opened and you walked through the slowly opening doors and into the lobby area. You could see your coach waiting for you right by the exit of the lobby. He was on his phone, scrolling through whatever app he was on. Beside him was your manager and another member of the team. It seemed like it would only be the 4 of you for breakfast right now.

Once they noticed you joining them, they started moving towards the breakfast area. Other than the four of you, there were a couple other people sitting at tables, eating breakfast.

Following your coach, you waited in line to get your breakfast.

"How's your morning been, Y/n? It doesn't seem like Chishiya's up yet." He turned to you.

You shrugged. "I mean, it would've been better if you would've let me sleep more. And Chishiya's probably tired from not sleeping on the plane, so he might wake up late."

Even though you wished that he was awake, you couldn't express it; not in front of your coach at least.

"Well, that must suck for you." He grabbed his plate of food. "No time to dwell on that though. We have practice in an hour."

You thanked the person who handed you your plate of food before turning to sit down at a table with everyone else. "It's Not like I care that much anyways. I'll be fine, he needs to rest."

"Mhm." The coach eyed you, as if he knew.

In all honesty, he probably did. After working with you for only a little over a year, it was almost like he knew you better than how you knew yourself. It was rather impressive.

The two people from your team didn't care much about your conversation, just eating the food on their plate while on their phone.

"Have you heard about Leena's winning streak? She's apparently won every single one of her tournaments up to now." The coach took a sip of his drink. "That's 6 tournaments won in a row and over 36 matches won. If she continues, then she might go on to hold the record for the second most matches won."

You picked around with the food in your white ceramic plate. "If I'm facing her, I'm going to end her streak. I need to continue my own streak so I can reach my goal of beating the world record."

"You know the world record is way above 40 right? I believe it's a 74 win streak." Your manager suddenly butted into the conversation, interested. "If you do beat it though, you'll set a record and definitely set your name down into history."

"As if that isn't the point." You replied flatly.

Your coach laughed and picked up his now empty breakfast plate. "Well then, you're on a streak of 7 right now. If you win the Australian Open, you'll be at 14."

He walked towards the designated place where you put your finished plates, his empty plate in hand.

"You'd also go up a lot in the rankings. Maybe even break the top five." Your manager showed you the point rankings of all the WTA players on tour.

You took the phone from his hand and scrolled through the rankings. Most of the other people that were in 10-20 that were ranked above you only had a few hundred points more than you, meaning that if you were to win, you'd be able to surpass them. On the other hand, if you were to lose in your early matches, you'd probably move down in rankings.

"Welp, practice is soon isn't it?" You handed his phone back and stood up.

After stacking the empty plate onto the stack of other dirty plates, you headed back to the group. They were all by the exit door, waiting for you.

When you caught up with them, they picked up their things and you threw one backpack strap over your shoulder and one tennis bag strap onto the other. The uneven weight distribution tipped you over for just a second before you regained your balance.

As you all loaded your things into the trunk of the car, your coach ran you through everything that you'd be practicing. Today's practice would be full of simple drills that'll get you moving. "You've been slacking off for the past few days," was his excuse for choosing your least favorite practice day.

Everyone was in the car, your coach was in the driver's seat. He said the drive would be a bit over 20 minutes because there wasn't too much traffic.

While in the car, you decided to shoot Chishiya a message. He'd usually be awake at this time, but since it was vacation, you've already held back on texting him. There's no way that he'd still be asleep right?
_______________________________
YOO WSG
THANK YOU FOR READING ❤️
:)