Save Me

Bruno was fourteen when his life changed forever.

he pulled tightly on his ruana.

His sisters were helping the Encanto and Gus had gotten injured so he was in line to be healed by Julieta.

Normally Bruno would go hide in Casita until one of them could be moral support.

But his Mama had told him he had to help the Encanto today.

People were glancing at him warily as if he would curse them if they talked to him.

he blinked rapidly, staring at the ground. Just wait until Gus or Julieta or Pepa were done...

"Actually Hugo I'm spending the day with..." He felt a hand grab his and he jerked up.

A girl with brown hair done in a ponytail, with golden skin, brown eyes and wearing a wine colored dress, was clinging to his arm. She meant his confused look with a pleading one.

"Uh...Si, si we are hanging out today."

The boy, Hugo, frowned before huffing away.

The girl let go of his arm when he was out of earshot, placing a hand over her heart.

"Gracias...." She said.

"...De Nada...but I don't think you wanted to do that..."

"Why?" She turned towards him, head tilted slightly, voice innocent.

"He'll probably tell people you're cursed, cause your hanging out with me."

The girl looked confused before laughing.

"I'd much rather he think I'm cursed than think i'm going to accept his offer to court me."

"What?!" Bruno exploded.

"I know!" She laughed, before her expression darkened. "Mama and Papa aren't going to be happy if they find out I turned Hugo down..."

Bruno felt something in him want to help this girl.

"You can...uh...spend the day with me...if you want to...."

Her eyes lit up. "Really?"

"Yeah um...I was waiting for Gus to be healed...but I think he got distracted...so...."

"Bueno!" She clapped. "I'm Maria Montez by the way."

"Bruno..."

"Bruno Madrigal. Everyone knows you." She smiled, so he would do his best not to take that in the wrong way.

"What do you want to do?" he asked instead, rubbing the back of his neck.

Maria put a finger on her chin as she paused. "I can take you to my favorite spot..."

"R...Really?"

"Mmhm, come on!"

They pass Felix, who's babysitting and gets a knowing expression on his face.

Bruno wasn't going to read anything into it.

He's not sure where he expects to be lead but his favorite spot in the Encanto was not it.

"This is my favorite spot!" He said out loud.

The spot in question being a very old tree that was crooked and twisted from weather conditions. He had beneath it's branches many times, trying to work through the unfairness of life when his Mama didn't want him at Casita.

"How come I've never seen you..." He asked but he gets his answer when he sees Maria starting to climb.

"Come on!" She called.