Chapter One

Before you read this story I'd like to say that this isn't a fully completed novel but I will be adding to it every week and continuing to edit. Enjoy 😊

If you like this story don't forget to follow my page and vote ❤️

This story is currently undergoing changes - any conflicting stories will be changed.

The moment Salantina got into the water, her body relaxed. She put her head underneath and experienced silence for the first time that day. All her worries and doubts dissolved in that instant: no schoolwork, no competition, no grief. It was just her in the water. Pushing herself up to the surface, she took a deep breath and began her first lap as the Coach, Brian, blew his whistle. He was timing every couple of laps and Salantina wanted to perform her best today, like every other day.

'Time! You are a second slower than two days ago. Make sure you're resting Salantina, it's as important as training!' Brian shouted matter of fact. She was still the fastest by a second, but it wasn't the time for her to be slowing down and that just wasn't good enough.

'Brian, can I do another lap and you can time me again?' She asked trying to mask the desperate tone in her voice.

'No. Practice is over. In two days, I will time you again. Just make sure you're resting and eating well, and you'll be back to full speed again.'

'What I need is more practice.' Salantina was holding back her anger at his comment. Didn't he think she was good enough?

'Salantina...' He had used her name too many times, but his voice was softer now. 'You're in the pool every second day for a year. You don't need more practice - you need to rest. I think you should take the next training day off!' She avoided his concerned eyes. The same ones she'd been receiving from most adults lately.

'I'm fine, please not this close to the competition!' Tears stung her eyes. This is the only thing that I have.

'Look if you promise me you're going to rest properly before then you can join. But if I catch you here, and I'll be checking the books, you'll be sent home.'

'No training, I promise,' she managed to reply without her voice breaking.

'Use this time to focus more on your schoolwork. You have exams,' he instructed but she had already stopped listening. Clearly, her mother had been in his ear about her study.

Turning around, she spotted Ruby in the pool watching them. Her face became hot when she noticed the eyes of another two teammates watching her make an escape to the changing rooms. She walked awkwardly trying to avoid slipping on the wet surface. That's all she needed was her two left feet to leave her with an even bigger scene than she had already created. Managing to avoid everyone, she changed fast barely drying her body, and left the complex marching quickly up the road with her hair dripping onto her shoulders. Her legs felt heavy slowing her down and her lips trembled with the cold breeze. As usual, she forgot her coat.

By now she had already forgotten about what had happened in the pool. Walking around the lake, she watched a family of swans swimming peacefully past. Feeling tears in her eyes, she continued to will herself not to cry. Crouching down to catch her breath. A tear trickled down her face.

It wasn't as if she could explain why she was upset. Most of the time, even she didn't know why. Although the overwhelming emotions of almost losing the one escape she had in her life would make sense today.

It was a quiet village where she lived. Everyone knew each other, their parents, grandparents, and cousins. She really wasn't in the mood to meet anyone. Wiping the tears off her face she stood up, took a breath, and set off walking again back to her home. It was a Saturday so no going to school after practice. Her eyes were heavy even while walking thankfully she wouldn't have to find a quiet spot to take a nap. Instead, on her return home she was greeted by her father and little sister Peppa, sitting at the kitchen table. It was roughly after 9 am, so they were both still in their pajamas.