Chapter Twelve

After lunch, Fynn and Salantina didn't want to go home yet so decided to go on a walk around the park. It led to an old witch's house from about 200 years ago. Nobody really went up there anymore only teenagers hanging out with their friends.

They walked across a wooden bridge and past the lake from the park. The weather wasn't bad, but the skies were starting to darken. Salantina couldn't remember how long the walk was, but she hoped it wouldn't take too long. The last thing she wanted for them both was to get caught in the rain. 

 The path was completely overgrown with grass, and there were a couple of broken bottles along the way. She stung her leg off a nettle while they were walking, which she tried finding a doctor leaf for with no luck until she remembered the leaf was attached to the nettle. Fynn laughed a lot at her but did run back and get the leaf for her while she sulked.

It took them about twenty minutes, but they arrived at a very old, abandoned cottage right in the middle of the woods. Outside of the cottage, there was a very old circle stoned fire, with a lot of rubbish around it. The cottage itself was run down too. The roof was caved in, windows were broken, and there was grass coming out of the walls.

'It looks like the earth is claiming it back,' Fynn said darkly.

'Looks so.' 

Salantina was scared and didn't want to go any closer. Stories about this home were coming back to her. She moved closer to him who seemed oblivious. Fynn carried on walking towards the house inspecting the outside. There was a red front door that was cut in half. It was very worn, but it was the most preserved part of the house. Fynn walked to the front door and was about to open it when Salantina panicked.

'No wait, don't go inside please.' Salantina's heart was racing. There was something about this place that made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. 

'Why not? You're not afraid, are you?' Fynn asked playfully his eyes brightening. 

'No, it's not that. It's just this place holds a lot of history.' 

Deep breaths. 

Fynn watched her for a second his eyes turned soft. 

'I'm sorry. Look if you want to leave we can,' Fynn replied, catching her hand. 

'No, we don't need to leave. Sorry, this place just really freaks me out.' Salantina said sounding more calm although her anxiety was still precedent.  She glanced at her hand and there was no mark. Fynn looked at her hand too and caught her eye.

'Can you tell me why?' Fynn asked curiously.

'Not here, I will another time,' Salantina replied feeling the same airy feeling she felt after she was bitten when she used to walk past the woods.

'So I'm clear you don't think it's a good idea to even so much as open the door? I'd love to look inside.' 

'Em... okay... just open the door but no going inside, then can we go?' 

'If you're sure.' She nodded taking another deep breath and watched him walk towards the door. Quickly, she followed and was so close she was practically breathing on him. He put his foot right onto the bottom of the red door and Salantina jumped closer grabbing his arm with fright.

'Sorry I got a little freaked out,' Salantina mumbled feeling embarrassed but refusing to let go of his arm. Her eyes scanned around the wooded area.

'Don't worry. I'll keep you safe,' Fynn told her confidently. Taking great pride in fitting into this role. Salantina rolled her eyes. As if... She managed to bite her tongue not letting go of his arm.