Chapter 8: Sharp, Death, Love

"Qué raro (how strange)," the Kanhondo's large ocean-blue eyes scanned the area. "I can sense that there's someone else here and yet I can't see you, young maralujo."

Angélio's throat tightened and closed up. He was still as steel. Is the Kanhondo freezing me with its stare like Roende said? He thought before stretching his fingers in and out. Thank God. A small wave of relief washed over him, drawing the slightest sigh.

"Come now," the Kanhondo's powerful voice bounced off the walls. "This is hardly a fair fight. How am I to stand a chance if I can't see you?"

Pulling himself together, Angélio slipped behind one of the large columns. Just because it can't see me, doesn't mean it can't hear me, he thought.

"How would I stand a chance if you could see me?" Angélio said, pressing his back against the column.

The Kanhondo chuckled. "What makes you say that?"

It sounds closer, Angélio thought. It must be trying to hear where I am by getting me to talk. He tiptoed towards the other column further back.

"You know your powers better than I could explain them," Angélio replied as every bone in his body rattled.

"Powers? What powers?" The Kanhondo laughed. "I am just an overgrown serpent. Nothing more nothing less."

Angélio was about to speak when he saw it out of the corner of his eye. To his right, pointy tree-sized teeth glistened within the beast's massive mouth. He didn't dare breathe, much less, move. Every muscle, bone, and joint in his body tightened so much it hurt. But Angélio wagered that those pearly-white knife-like teeth would hurt even more. He held his breath.

"What's the matter, maralujo?" The Kanhondo said. "Did you swallow your tongue?"

Something else caught Angélio's eye. The broad vine with the triangular leaves was wrapped around the beast just below its head, and those thick red thorns had left a ring of dried blood and scars near the point of each prickle.

Chained, Angélio remembered what Roende had said about the Kanhondo. That vine must be what keeps it trapped here... He also recalled being chased by a Rottweiler one day near where he caught the bus from school. The person's gate was open, and the dog charged at him when he got too close. Angélio booked it. Thankfully the silver chain attached to the animal's collar stopped it from biting his leg.

I bet the vine doesn't go as far as the cave, he thought. I hope.

Angélio looked around and saw the skull of a maraluje. He didn't want to touch it, but with the Kanhondo less than a breath away, what choice did he have? In a flash, he snatched the cranium up and hurled it as far as he could toward the waterfall. Seconds seemed like years as it flew through the air.

Splash!

His heart jumped for joy. The Kanhondo snapped its head around and dashed towards the sound. Angélio raced in the other direction. But his footsteps rang like dinner bells as they slammed into the stone floor.

The Kanhondo whipped around, hurling its wide open mouth towards Angélio.

Snap!

A sound like metal crashing into metal echoed as the beast's jaws slammed shut quicker than a rat trap.

Angélio shook like a leaf, staring at the wall of teeth a hair away from his trembling feet. The vine squeezed tightly against the Kanhondo's feathers and scales. Drops of blood beaded where the thorns burrowed into the beast and fell to the ground like red rain.