Chapter Two - Parth

The phone rang for the fifth time and everyone turned towards Parth. He tried to look normal but the family priest made him nervous.

"What is this Mrs. Srivastava? This pooja is important for your family's welfare. Especially for your son and his new startup! "

The priest whispered to Parth's mother. But it was audible enough to hear parth, who was sitting near his mother. Mrs. Srivastava glared at Parth. He gulped some air and pleaded, "maa please let me take this call. It's important. Today we have a meeting with investors. They are important for us! "

"Always work work! Parth can't you make some time for family? It is your company right? Then can't you take leave from it? "

"Maa things don't work like that in a startup! The CEO has to work on Sunday also if required. "

Parth picked his phone and stood, " I have to leave. I don't want to upset my investor because of some stupid puja! "

And he left without saying anything. Mrs. Srivastava and the family priest exchanged looks. Both were surprised.

As soon as Parth left his villa, he called back at his office, "hey jay, I am so sorry. Please say that investors are still there"

"Ya Parth. Investors are still here. But they are not in a good mood. Reach here ASAP! "

Parth signaled his driver to make it fast. After tackling traffic parth reached office and luckily he cracked the deal with investors. The happiness on his face was mixed with self esteem too.

His Project manager Jay escorted investors and hugged Parth with high zeal.

Jay said, " Hey parth you did it. As usual. But how do you always manage such moody investors? "

"Um... I don't exactly know how. But somehow I manage to explain to them how good an opportunity they will miss. And some agree to it some don't.. Moreover I believe in the way you communicate. The actual plot twister"

Jay laughed and stepped before Parth. He stared at Jay suspiciously, until he realized something and said, "Please don't Jay. I don't want to listen to what Mrs. Srivastava told you!"

"Parth .... She's your mom! Caring for you is her duty or say its her job to do. She loves you..."

Parth interrupted Jay, "Yes I know. But Jay I am not religious nor atheist. But I don't like to sit in pujas like this. Especially when I have my work to focus on."

Jay sighed, "let's have a coffee first? Then we can talk?"

Both went to a nearby cafe and Jay went to order.. Expect soft music and coffee machine noise, everything was quiet. The silence stirred Parth's thoughts and he thought about his mother. Being a single parent is hard. Especially when Parth was 9 years old and he lost his father. The table at which he was sitting is her all time corner. During school days, he used to visit this place with his father. He rubbed his hand on table cloth and smiled.

He said,"It feels like yesterday dad. After my first cricket match we came here and ordered ...."

"We ordered Black coffee and cake for Jay," Jay stood with a tray behind him.

He smiled back at Parth and kept the tray filled with black coffee and pastry.

"I am happy that we are still friends Jay"

"I am happy too. But I want you to think about your mother too. Isn't she all alone in this unfair life?"

Parth took a deep breath and laid his back on the chair, "I know Jay. But I am trying my best. Its just that I cannot compromise my work. Are you getting it? And Tara is there to take care of mom's religious wish lists!"

Jay smiled and took a whip of black coffee, hitting his nostrils.

"You cannot lie to me, Parth. This workaholic nature is not yours. You were never like this. It's because of her....."

Jay slowly trailed off. Parth took his coffee and took a sip. Silence gathered around them for a while. Parth finished his coffee in a single sip and stood.

"Yes, it's her. But now this is who I am! And I want this to be forever. Because this is what I love"

"No parth. This is not what you love. This is what makes you feel safe. Don't wish for this"

Parth smiled back and patted Jay, "let's go champ, we have investors who will make all our wishes true!"