Chapter 1 - Going Back In Time

Regina's PoV

Where am I?

I vividly remember how I was stabbed in the chest to death by my daughter, Clementine. The pain is still there, so why am is still standing? Is this heaven or hell?

"You look in pretty bad shape, Regina Claire Bergamot. It seems you've been stabbed to death by your daughter. And the weapon of choice is a dagger gifted by yourself to your daughter."

Who is this figure standing in front of me? I-

"You look a little confused. Are you wondering who I am? Or you're still surprised that you could still stand even with that knife sticking out from your chest?"

I nodded my head as the figure approached me.

"I am everywhere and nowhere. Sometimes I'm in heaven, and sometimes I'm in hell. I work pretty much anywhere those winged bastards sent me. It's my choice to be their messenger."

By winged bastard, does it mean those whom humans like to call angels?

"Do you have a name?"

The figure hummed.

"Humans called me the grim reaper. But my comrade calls me Luna."

I see- so this figure is a woman or a man? I don't know.

"You may refer to me as a woman. Although gender doesn't mean anything to us, I like to be considered a woman. Now, should we get started reviewing your files?"

The scenery suddenly changes, and we're now standing in the middle of an office-like room. This room reminded me of the ones I had back in the palace.

"Please, have a seat. As we talk."

I sat at one of the chairs and watched Luna take files from one of the shelves. This is the afterlife? Am I being interrogated? I never imagine going through the afterlife like this.

"Your name is Regina Claire Dubois, the eldest daughter of Duke Dubois, one of the three dukes that served the emperor, Louie the Fourth. In your family, you were considered a genius, better than any of your brothers. But because you're a woman, your talent was not recognized by your father. At eighteen, a few months after your debutante ball, your father decided to marry you off to the emperor. Is that correct?"

I nodded.

"At the age of twenty, you gave birth to Clementine Charlise Bergamot, the first princess of the empire. But the emperor does not fond of daughters as he values the worth of having a son. From then, you had neglected your duty as the princess's guardian and left it to the nanny to deal with your daughter as you tried to conceive a son for the emperor."

I nodded once again.

"At the age of twenty-five, you manage to get yourself pregnant. Things take a turn when the emperor's women give you poison to consume, and you lose the baby, and after that, you also lose the ability to have children. Is that correct?"

I nodded.

"Wow, you're quite a character, huh- no wonder those winged bastards gave your case to me. You were quite a villainess, and you did all those things to your daughter. Not only do you ignore your growing daughter, but you also force her to do your bidding. When she was old enough, your daughter decided to kill you herself. I have to say, the ending of your story is a chef's kiss."

I see- I'm glad my life story could bring smiles to others.

"So why are you? Why didn't those winged bastards send you to hell for what you did to such a sweet child? I wonder- oh."