Chapter Seven

Spider hisses, banging his hands against the glass in hopes it would shatter. He runs at it, knocking his shoulder into reflecting wall, stepping back with a grunt to hold the throbbing limb. He curses at them in Na'vi.

"Let me out!" He calls them every name under the sun. Quartich watches his wild behaviour with a frown.

"He's completely feral, thinks he's one of them." That was one way of putting it.

Spider picks up the plastic chair, bashing it repeatedly into the glass but it doesn't budge an inch. He hisses at the camera.

Quaritch sips his coffee, watching the boy fight and tire himself out.

After Mo'at took out the bullet, cleaned her daughter's injury and wrapped it. Tanhì and Jake were having it out in their tent.

The kids peeking through the cracks to hear, parents unaware of the company.

"This thing, this Quaritch whatever he is-" Jake moves his hands, trying to find the right words while Tanhì faces away, not wanting to hear him.

"No. You can not ask this of me, Jake. Not this time, it is too much." She shakes her head as they argue, Jake moving forward to touch her but she takes a step back from him.

"I will not leave my people, I refuse to." Her tail whips furiously, starting to tidy their tent, hoping it would occupy her wandering mind.

Jake growls when she folds a sleeping mat, hearing her wince as she cradles her shoulder.

"He's hunting us, Tanhì. He's targeting our family." He takes the mat from her, shifting it to the side.

"You do not understand. The children and I grew up here, our birth place from first breath. Our home? How can we leave it all behind? I will not put them through that!" Tanhì shakes her head at him, not wanting to leave her life here, her memories with her family.

"He had our children. He had 'em under his knife, Ma'Tsawke. He's not gonna stop, he'll come back again and I can't just let that happen!" Jake holds her hand but she moves away again, frowning as she backs up.

"So what now? We run and hide? You are Toruk Makto! I am to be Tsahik! You protect the people, you fight for them. We fight or them!" She points at her bow making Jake wince.

"My father! his dying wish was to protect the people, we can not do that by abandoning them!" Not liking the growing distance between them, he crosses the tent to her and reaches out to hold the sides of her face.

"This will protect the people, baby." She doesn't push him but she wouldn't meet his gaze.

"Look at me, please." His broken voice makes her eyes water.

"Quartich has Spider and that kid knows everything. He knows the whole operation. He can lead them right in here for our family and if the people continue to harbor us, they will die."  Her lips quiver, hand hitting his chest softly.

"He would not give us away-" She denies, a tear leaking out when Jake mentions him. Wiping it away with his thumb, he turns her face upwards to his.

"Not willingly but they would know where we are and that alone's enough to endanger the people." She bites her lip to stop the quiver and he lets a hand rub along her injured arm, hating the smell of her blood wafting off of it.

"I got nothing baby, I got no plan. But I can protect this family, that I can do and if it means packing up and leaving then I'll do it." She goes to respond but he cuts her off, resting his forehead on hers.