The Campaign

"Something is coming. Something hungry for blood." Mike says from behind his folder. "A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness. It is almost here."

"What is it?" Will asks wondering what monster awaits us.

"What if it's the Demogorgon?" Dustin asks worried that we could be facing the Demogorgon next.

"Oh, Jesus, we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgon." I say rubbing my forehead, and hoping we didn't have to face the Demogorgon. We had been playing all weekend and we're so close to the end of the Campaign but fighting a Demogorgon could cause us to lose.

"It's not the Demogorgon." Lucas protests not wanting to believe the Demogorgon could be coming.

"An army of troglodytes charge into the chamber!" Mike yells slamming a figure onto the board.

"Troglodytes?" Dustin's asks, not expecting the Troglodytes. I breath a sigh of relief, glad we didn't have to fight the Demogorgon and we can fight something easier.

"Told ya." Lucas says, as we start laughing. Then Mike looks around nervously.

"Wait a minute. Did you hear that?" Mike asks as the boys and I share a look of concern. "That... that sound? Boom... boom... Boom!" Mike yells slamming his hands on the table starling us.

"That didn't come from the troglodytes, no, that... That came from something else. The Demogorgon!" Mike yells slamming another figure onto the board.

"We're in deep shit." Dustin says aggravated we have to fight the Demogorgon.

"Shit, shit, shit." I say knowing the Demogorgon will probably kill us abruptly ending our campaign.

"Will, your action!" Mike shouts.

"I don't know!" Will says shaking his head.

"Fireball him!" Lucas shouts. 

"I'd have to roll a 13 or higher!" Will protests knowing casting fireball would be a risky move.

"Too risky. Cast a protection spell." Dustin and I say at the same time.

"Don't be a pussy. Fireball him!" Lucas retorts wanting Will to attack the Demogorgon.

"Cast Protection." Dustin protests.

"Its your move Will, but I suggest you cast protection." I say to Will hoping to encourage his decision.

"The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering! It stomps towards you. Boom!" Mikes says slamming his hands on the table.

"Fireball him, Will!" Lucas shouts.

"Another stomp, boom!"

"Cast Protection." Dustin and I say.

"It roars in anger!"

"Fireball!" 

"Protection!" I yell as Dustin, Lucas and I bicker.

"Fireball!" Will yells throwing the dice, but the dice falls off the table. 

"Oh, shit!"

"Where'd it go? Where is it?"

"We have to find it." I say as we all get up from the table, searching Mikes basement for the dice.

"I don't know!"

"Is it a 13?"

"I don't know!"

"Where is it?"

"Oh, my God! Oh, my God! Oh, my God!" Everyone is shouting and bickering trying to find the dice and hoping Will rolled a thirteen or higher.

"Mike! Mike!" We hear Mikes mom shouting as the boys and I continue searching for the dice.

"Can you find it yet?

"No, I can't find it!"

"Mike!" We hear again as the basement door opens. 

"Oh, my God! Oh, my God!"