Chapter 14

A dark hue of red spreads across Haruhi's face, her cheeks practically glowing due to Takashi suddenly picking her up. She knew he was strong; she'd seen his muscles several times, but feeling them was different. His skin was hot and hard, each movement allowing her to feel each muscle. The sensation inspires a rare warmth to bloom in her stomach, her heart racing.

"Mori-Senpai?" Haruhi started, her voice sounding as uneasy and nervous as she felt. "We need to go back- they were going in the other direction."

Takashi briefly looked at her. "No, Mitsukuni is this way." He stated it as if it were fact, and Haruhi couldn't find it in her to argue.

"What about Kagome?" Haruhi tentatively asked.

"She will be with Mitsukuni." He was so sure; it was almost frightening his conviction.

"How do you know?"

"Because Mitsukuni wouldn't leave her behind."

Haruhi went to protest, not understanding how instinctual his answers were; to her, it was all speculation. She opened her mouth with another question, but it died on her tongue when he looked at her.

He paused, again looking her in the eyes. "Haruhi." His steely gaze seemed to flicker, gleaming like that of a katana blade. She gulped, her stomach warming and cheeks growing hotter. "Trust me."

'It's the first time Mori-Senpai's ever said my name.' Butterflies took flight in her stomach, and she shyly looked away. Haruhi had never felt this way before, but a part of her liked it, excited to unravel these new feelings.

~o.O~O.o~

"How did you get your scars?"

Kagome blinked up at Mitsukuni; she had originally thought of using the excuse of surgery as a kid, hoping that it would help cover up her secret. But now that her secret was out, she realized that there was no point in attempting to hide behind such flimsy excuses.

Her fingers gently ran over the jagged pale pink skin, the oddly smooth scar snaking under her ribs and along the top of her hip. Of the few scars she had, this was undoubtedly the most noticeable. As she examined the visible reminder of her past, she felt a sense of pride at how far she'd come. Although it had been difficult, she persevered through it all, and moments like this one, staring at her scars, made her grateful for everything she'd overcome. She thought of all the time and energy she'd put into rebuilding herself, and it showed - she'd come out on the other side a stronger, more confident person. No matter what, she wouldn't let this scar hold her back.

"A centipede demon attacked me before my powers had awakened." Kagome shrugged. "And the others are ones I also got when fighting against lesser demons."

Mitsukuni took a step back, his eyes regarding her with growing concern.

She shook her head in disbelief and threw her hands up in a gesture of exasperation, realizing too late the implication of what she had just said. "I'm not a demon hunter!" Kagome proclaimed loudly. "I've only ever defended myself."

The tension that had built up between them over the past few moments melted away as his shoulders finally relaxed, and he offered her a genuine smile. This was the first real smile since the conversation started, one full of warmth and reassurance. "You must be really strong then, K'gome-chan."

Kagome smiled back, an invisible weight being lifted from her shoulders. "Stronger than I was, at least."

She slowly got to her feet, tentatively taking Mitsukuni's hand when he offered. "Do you need me to carry you? Your knee looks pretty bad."