Gabriel And Magnus

A long time ago, there was a little island to the south of England called the Isle of Ruby. On this little island was a little railway called the East Western Railway.
The youngest driver on the railway was Gabriel. Of course, he hadn't been out for a long due to his recently amputated leg.
The other three drivers were Ivor, Ellegaard and Magnus.
The four drivers were sitting in the common room of the Staff House.
"So," said Ellegaard, "I hear you're coming back to work tomorrow."
Gabriel nodded, "Yes. Do you think I'll be allowed to drive my engine?"
Gabriel's engine was an old light blue FRK2, which hadn't been used nor come out the sheds in months.
"Ha!" Barked Magnus, "You won't have her long, Gabe. She'll be retired to a museum soon."
Gabriel shook his head looking amused.
At that moment, Sir William Black - a short, stout man with black hair - entered the room. The room fell silent.
"Ah, Gabriel, pleased to see you look ready for work. Now, since Soren left after....yesterday's incident in shunting, you'll be taking over the shunting yard with your engine. It ought to make sure she doesn't get overworked and ease her pistons back into work."
Gabriel nodded, "Yes, Sir."
The controller (or The Fat Controller to his drivers) left.
The broadest of grins spread over Gabriel's face, "You were saying, Magnus?"

The next morning, Gabriel left the house first, in order to get his engine ready. The fireman got her firebox lit and Gabriel brought her out of the sheds with an affection pat on the cab. Later in the shunting yard, Magnus came through with his bright green LNER A3 Pacific, grumbling.
"A goods train! A goods train! It's bloody shameful!"
Gabriel chuckled, "Magnus, it can't be that bad! At least you get to pull trains."
"It is that bad, Gabriel! It's just lucky that when the new driver and his engine get here, I won't have to pull goods trains!"
"New driver? What new driver?" Gabriel gave a shout of surprise when he realised his engine hadn't been uncoupled from the trucks he had just shunted. Hastily, he gave his engine a little more speed to catch up with Magnus's bigger one.
"Oh, you left so fast this morning that you didn't hear the announcement. Anyway, it's a good thing we're getting another driver. Ellie and her engine are far too small to be really useful. And her engine has wooden brake blocks!"
"But I'm not small compared to you and my engine is bigger than Gabe's, Magnus!" Ellegaard pulled in front of them in a brown L&YR Class 26 engine, making the other two slam their engines brakes on.
Magbus groaned, "Oh, Ellie!"
Ellegaard ignored him, "There's nothing wrong with wooden brake blocks either!"
"Until they catch fire!" Scoffed Magnus, "Now, move! You're blocking the way!"
Ellegaard left, looking less sure of herself and her engine after the comment.
Gabriel sighed and shook his head, "Come on, old girl, we've work."

About an hour later, Magnus was attempting to pull his heavy trucks up the big hill on the mainline. Eventually he sighed, "I give up!"
His fireman gave him a look, "Magnus, you aren't even trying with her!"
"She can't do it! That stupid truck company make sure their faulty trucks hold an engine back! Now, if they were coaches-"
"Don't start." The fireman sighed, before calling The Fat Controller.
Meanwhile, in his office, The Fat Controller was doing some work when the phone rang.
"Hello?"
He groaned upon hearing the news.
"Alright. I'll send Gabriel to come and help. Goodbye."
He walked out to shunting yard, grumbling.
"Sir?"
"Ah, Gabriel!" He beamed. His smile faltered, "Magnus needs you and your engine's help."
"My engine, Sir?" Gabriel asked, looking unsure, "Are you sure?"
"Yes! He can't get up the hill with his goods train. Apparently." SWB rolled his eyes.
Gabriel smiled and blew his engine's whistle, "Alright, Sir! I'm on my way."
On the hill, Magnus was groaning and making checks on the trucks.
Gabriel chuckled, "Alright, Magnus? I hear you need help."
Magnus hmphed, "Your engine's too small to be any good but fine."
Gabriel just smiled good naturedly, "Whistle when you're ready. And you better not leave all the work to me!"
Magnus stomped back to his engine and whistled.
Gabriel and Magnus's engines both started slowly.
"She can't do it." Magnus muttered nervously.
"She will do it." Gabriel muttered determinedly.
"She can't do it!"
"She will do it!"
"She can't do it!"
"She will do it!"
Before either of them knew it, Magnus's engine was at the top. Magnus whooped and patted his engine on the cab, "I did it! I did it!"
Gabriel's engine crested the hill a short while later, nearly out of steam.
Gabriel scowled, "Not even a 'thank you'!"
Gently, he took his engine into the siding at the next station. While filling his engine's tender with water, he smiled.
I'll ask to give her a repaint. He thought, Then she'll be the best and brightest engine in the shed!

Yes, I humanised them. But there will be bits later when hands will be helpful, so there.