The Meteor Shower

"Are you coming?" Sonia texted Cole.

"Yeah be right over" came the response.

Sonia looked up from her phone and flashed a thumbs up to her sister Darcy. Their friend was on his way.

Sonia and Darcy were high school juniors along with their neighbor Cole, and had been planning to watch tonight's meteor shower together for weeks. The twins were in their shared bedroom texting with friends and waiting until sunset to head outside.

"Ok Sone, let's get this party started!" Darcy reminded her sister as she got up from her bed and started to put on a sweater. She took a look at herself in the mirror and gave an approving nod. She glanced over at her sister who was still on her phone.

"Your boyfriend is going to be over in a few minutes" Darcy teased her sister.

"He's NOT my boyfriend! Gross!" Sonia rebutted.

Darcy smirked and picked out a sweater for her sister to wear. While they weren't boyfriend and girlfriend, she had a suspicion that it was only a matter of time before her sister realized what she saw. They were all close growing up, but for the past few years Sonia and Cole had clicked and become closer friends. Darcy had a suspicion that Cole had a crush on her sister, but didn't want to meddle too much in case she ended up pushing them apart.

Sonia finally put her phone down and grabbed her sweater from her sister, putting it on and following her out of their bedroom. They went downstairs and into their kitchen, grabbing some snacks and drinks from the kitchen, then head to the front door.

As they were nearing the door, they heard three quick knocks on it, and hurried over to investigate. Sonia had a smile on her face which she quickly repressed as she unlocked the door and opened it to reveal Cole standing out front.

"Are you ready? This is going to be so cool!" he beamed at the twins. He raised up his hands to show a large bag of salt and vinegar chips, which he knew was Sonia's favorite.

"I can't wait!" Sonia said as she beamed a big smile upon seeing the bag of chips.

"You two are such dorks, but this should be good" Darcy dryly egged them on, trying to hide her excitement.

The trio began walking down the sidewalk on the street, chatting and joking with each other, Darcy taking the lead and letting her sister and friend chat a bit more with each other. She took a left down a wooded trail and the others followed. They continued down until they reached a cleaning.

"This is the spot! A clear view and hardly any lights!" Darcy proudly stated, having found the perfect viewing spot.

The three sat down on the ground and began to partake in their snacks, keeping a close eye on the sky and waiting for it to start.

"I'm not looking forward to our history test next week" Cole admitted to the group, "I haven't studied and I'm super lost."

Darcy smirked, she had an idea that might be able to help her sister.

"It's not too bad, just a lot of names and dates that might be tough to get. Sone, have you started studying yet?"

Sonia blushed and shook her head no, she had been busy with cheerleading and hadn't had time to start studying yet.

Darcy knew this was one of her sister's better subjects, and she had the opportunity to prop it up to Cole.

"Looks like the two of you can be lost together. I'll give you my study notes and you can quiz each other." Darcy offered.

Cole and Darcy began to shyly smile at the idea, and both nodded their heads in approval.

"I know I'm the best sister, what can I say!" Darcy exclaimed.

The three continued to laugh and snack until the sky began to light up with streaks of meteors flying across the sky. They were amazed by how beautiful it looked as they flew past them and watched in awe as it continued.

A bright blue streak broke off from the stream of meteors and appeared to be getting larger and flying closer to the group.

"Woah! That looks like it's coming right at us!" Cole exclaimed.

The twins found what he was looking at and watched wide-eyed as it got closer and closer, before finally landing in part of the woods nearby with a sizzle.

"No way! That's right by us! We have to check it out!" Cole shouted as he scrambled to his feet. "Let's go, we could be the first ever to discover this! Blue is filled with magnesium, right?"

The girls both had a blank expression on their faces as they stood up, chemistry was not their subject of choice.

They jogged into the woods and began looking for the fallen meteorite. They looked around and kept walking as a group until a faint blue light caught Sonia's eyes.

"Hey I think that might be it, over there!" she pointed.

Cole loved everything to do with space, and excitedly followed the blue light.

As they approached, there was a stone glowing a faint blue laying in an indent in the ground. Cole couldn't contain his excitement as he bent down close to the stone.

"Be careful Cole, it's probably super hot!" Darcy warned.

Cole nodded in agreement and carefully placed his hand over top of it to test for heat. No heat. He carefully poked at it with one finger, and didn't detect any heat.

"Seems cool to me!" he triumphantly told the twins as he picked it up and spun it around in his hands to examine it.

The twins gathered around to watch Cole play with the rock, before he offered it to them and they both held a real space rock in their hands. The blue glow dimmed and finally faded, as Cole reclaimed the rock from the twins and placed it in his pocket.

"This is the coolest thing that's ever happened" Cole beamed.

"Even better than meeting us?" Darcy quipped.

"Wait 'til we tell everyone, they're going to be so jealous!" Sonia chimed in.

The three laughed together and went back to the clearing with Cole's new trophy to watch the remainder of the meteor shower.