5.

October 24, 2054

To my Chayo,

I am looking at you now as you sleep peacefully beside me. You're turning two in a few months and I couldn't help but think of how quickly you are growing up.

Now, I have realized what parents mean whenever they ask their children not to grow up way too fast. Because I don't want you to.

Maybe because I don't want you to understand how cruel the world can be. It will nitpick what it deems 'different'—the looks, status, career... and when you lack a parent.

And maybe... Mama is scared when you finally start asking me about your father. Dahil pwede kong itago ang totoo sa lahat, pero hinding-hindi ko ipagkakait sa'yo 'yon kapag ikaw na ang nagtanong. Kung sino siya. Kung ano ang hitsura niya. Kung alam niya ba ang tungkol sa'yo. Because you deserve to know that part of you.

And Mama knows that it is a selfish wish to hope that you could be my small bean forever, so I promise that I will allow you to grow. As long as you promise me that you will do it in your own pace, and not because the world forces you to.

And I hope that when you do, it wouldn't hurt you as much as it is hurting Mama right now. But if it does, I will cry with you as I pray that my love will be enough for the two of us to carry.

So my darling bean, know that I have been saving up all my love for you even before you were born. Lahat, para sa'yo lang. At palaging mayro'n, para sa'yo.

At kung maging kulang man si Mama, magsusumikap ako para sa'yo. Paulit-ulit, anak. Pangako.

Mahal na mahal kita.

- Mama Callie