ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʟᴜɴᴄʜ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ!

Bachira Meguru always sat alone in the corner of the classroom during lunch. His mother prepares a bento for him every day. No one really goes out of their way to bother him, most just ignored or didn't notice his presence.

So it was shocking for him when you acknowledged his presence.

"Do you always eat lunch alone?" You questioned, taking your wallet that you had carelessly left behind out of your bag.

"Me?" He asked innocently, pointing a finger at himself.

"Yeah, it's just the two of us here isn't it" You laughed at his dumbfounded expression.

Crossing your arms in front of your chest, you leaned against the wall eyes not leaving the boy whom had just caught your undivided attention.

Of course Bachira Meguru recognised you. He always sees you hanging out with your group of friends at the school garden in the morning. You were pretty popular amongst the students and teachers alike.

Your grades were always above ninety percent, you had a cool personality too. Not those type of popular girls who picks on loners and make it their entire personality to bully the shit out of someone. You were pretty nice, polite and soft spoken.

He never spoke to you though, there were many opportunities wherein he could've went up to you and started a conversation. But he thought you were way out of his league, and maybe you were.

"Do you want to join me and my friends?" Snapping out of his thoughts, Bachira realised that you were still there and you were still talking to him.

"No, it's fine. I prefer being alone anyways..." It was a lie, but he would never admit it.

You pursed your lips and nodded, not really believing him. Waving goodbye, you left to find the rest of your friends without looking back. If only you'd seen the way Bachira's eyes never left your frame until you completely disappeared.

After that encounter with the black and golden haired boy, you started to notice him more often. You didn't even know who he was until a week later when you were put into random groups for a science project.

"So your name's Bachira huh," you gave him a sincere smile, "sorry, I should have known instead of finding out this way."

"Oh, it's fine."

It was a group of five, you were the only girl there. Not just that but you were getting along well with all the others, the project the five of you were supposed to work on became more of a four person project.

Bachira was silent the entire fifteen minutes of discussion, he didn't know what to say. I mean, what could he possibly have said? He wasn't one of the smarter students like you were, and he rarely ever speaks up. He didn't know how.

So he just let the four of you talk while he sat and listened, as best as he could. The rest of the lesson went by in a blur, it wasn't until he felt a gentle tap on his shoulder did he finally snap out of his trance.

"Bachira, you've been quiet the entire time... do you have any thoughts on the project?" You hesitated asking him if he was alright, you didn't want to make it seem like you were a busybody.

"No, I think it's great." He tilted his head to look up at you.

"I see..." the two of you lapsed into an awkward silence, Bachira's yellow eyes staring at you as you desperately looked around the classroom, avoiding his gaze. "Wanna have lunch with me?"

"I come up here when I want to be alone, most people don't even know that this school has a rooftop garden. That's what makes this place even better!" Pushing open the door, you let Bachira in first.

It was simple yet pretty, there were rows of azaleas and tiles covering spots on the floors. A few benches and tables here and there, a water fountain too.

You led Bachira to a round table in the corner, vines were hanging down upon it from a steel rod above your heads.

"Here, sit next to me!" You pulled out the chair, patting it.

You thought he was a pretty aloof guy, he was rather cute though. Especially his hair, the golden under lights, to be precise. They always stood out— in a good way.

"Thank you for accompanying me for lunch Bachira," you spoke your thanks for the food, taking a bite before speaking again. "It would have been lonely without you!"

Giving him a close eyed smile, you pretended not to see the look of surprise splattered across his face.

Now Bachira was a little bit confused. He should be the one thanking you for accompanying him, not the other way around. And what did you mean by lonely? Last he remembered you had loads of friends from different classes in every year.

"You should probably start eating soon, lunch doesn't last forever y'know."

25 May 2023
834