Chapter 27. Under The Moonlight

"We have to cross this

"We have to cross this... Are you ok?" Robert turned his head back.

"Oh...Don't mind me..." I muttered. "Keep going, please..."

"Alright. Let's do this."

I rolled my eyes open. We were in the middle of a boundless field. All around, tall, dry grass waved back and forth in the warm tropical wind. The air was balmy, and my sweat had completely dried out. The moon had long replaced its fiery counterpart. A million stars blinked in the night's dark blue canvas reminding me of home.

Nova Aria and the farm. They felt like a lifetime ago.

My body moved up and down with the rhythm of Robert's steps. The coarse blades of grass tickled my bottom and legs, making me giggle.

"Having fun up there?" Robert chuckled along.

"Not really..." I cleared my throat, "How long have I been out?"

"Not long. We're almost there." Robert squeezed my legs.

His answer didn't offer any clarity. I didn't know where "there" was. The itch on my neck still lingered but was at a much more manageable level now. I absentmindedly scratched it, then realized that I couldn't.

"You can let me down, you know? I can walk," I told Robert.

"It's ok, Lou... Save your strength. We're almost there," Robert repeated.

"But it itches! And I can't feel a damn thing from my waist down!" I straightened my back and swung my legs. "They're like logs!"

"Alright, alright! Calm down."

Robert slowly lowered me to the ground. As soon as my feet touched it, I wanted to stand up and run, but the sharp sensation shooting up my spinal cord disagreed.

"Take it easy," Robert untied my hands around his neck and turned around slowly while holding them, "You've been staying in the same position forever, remember? Plus, you lost a lot of blood. Don't do anything rash. Take your time... You got it?"

"Yeah, yeah, I got it," I frowned while rubbing my wrist and neck.

Not too far away, Dad and Vince stopped in their tracks and looked back at us. I could barely make out their expressions. Robert let go of me completely, and I stumbled. My stomach growled as if I had not eaten in years.

"Hang in there," Robert's eyes twinkled as he laughed, "Hopefully, Charlie will bring us something to chew on."

His hand was warm on mine. I sighed inwardly and looked down at them without saying anything.

"Years ago," Robert turned to the line of trees and inhaled the new gust of wind blowing at us. "Charlie and I landed on this island by accident. Can you believe this is our only way out now?... Anyway, I don't know if you remember that day, but I was gone for the whole day and night-"