6. Another Heartbreaker in Iyllar High

THE CAFETERIA was filling up fast, the smell of food wafted around us as we neared.

Our table was filled to the brim with the squad, conversation centred around the game coming up in a couple of weeks between our school and our rivals, the Baxter Beavers.

The Beavers were from the town fifty miles to the north of our town, Baxter, and ever since forever they'd been the ultimate rivals against our school, whether it be basketball, soccer or football.

The game in a couple of weeks was the most anticipated game of the year. It didn't matter who won the state championships, all that mattered was who won between our two teams.

"So Lisha," I started but didn't get to finish it as she cuts me off, her eyes glued to the entrance.

"Is that who I think it is?" Lisha's gaped mouth and widened eyes kept me from finishing up my turkey sandwich. 

Whispers and excited murmurs soon echoed in the cafeteria.

I didn't need to turn around to know what she or the rest of the student body was getting excited over.

I remembered what they'd told me during freshman year. I remembered the stories about the fourth kid that had moved away. I remembered the whole F4 example she'd told me of.

I finished up my sandwich, trying not to look the least bothered by the sudden excitement in the cafeteria. After all, you see one guy, you've seen them all. Or in this case, you've seen one self-obsessed knucklehead, you've seen them all. 

I know I was rushing into classifying Zac as someone just like Ian, but can you blame me? Isn't it an universally accepted fact that hot guys have hot friends, and so why can't I assume that jerks hang out with other jerks, therein where Zac came in.

"Zac? Is it Zac Bonfils?" Gianna wondered as she too imitated Lisha's gaped mouth expression.

"That's who I thought it was too," Lisha gasped out in shock. "It does look like him."

"If he's hanging out with Ian and them, then it seems Zac's decided to come back to our little, old town. You can't forget that face."

"So," I decided to intervene in their ogling fest. "If you're done drooling, girls." They both threw me a dirty look even though they soon turned their attention away from the commotion. "I was thinking that since Coach is not going to be here for another month or two, we should work on the routine for the pep rally and maybe..." I sighed in frustration as soon as I saw Lisha's eyes dart back to the commotion happening behind me, where I guessed Ian and his crew had now located themselves. "Lisha..."

She held up a hand, slanting her head at a thirty degree angle before she arched a brow as if something amused her.

"Lisha..." I tried again, hoping we could discuss our routine for the pep rally before classes began again.

She held up a hand to cut me off. "When did you and... Zac meet?"

"What?" I asked, totally caught off guard by her question.

"When did you and Zac meet?" she repeated, now drawing Gianna's focus back to the group of boys sitting at the table behind me.

"Zac?"

"Uh-huh," she nodded, before focusing her eyes back on mine. "Zac, the new guy, slash number two of the F4... This ringing any bells for you?"

"Oh," I muttered before taking a drink from my bottle, knowing that I might as well tell them about him being my lab partner. "Bio," I added, trying my best to look like I didn't mind.

"You really do know how to make first impressions, girl," Lisha smiled before she grabbed the last grape on her tray and chewed on it.

"What do you even mean?"