Nine

"Alright take the next left, then my house is literally the last one on that street. Should be about five minutes away."

Sejeong was nervous, this was the first time she would be bringing a man home. Not just any man, her boyfriend. The three-hour drive felt short thanks to the company she had, but she kept quiet for most of it, thinking about how her family would react.

"Are you alright?" Hyoseop asked her once again.

She nodded, "Just nervous."

"Nervous? If anything, I should be nervous."

She laughed, "I know they'll love you, it's more the idea of me being in a relationship, you know?"

"I understand," he replied, "but you said so yourself all the people who love you want is your happiness."

"That's true."

Sejeong looked out the window, taking in the familiar sights surrounding her home. It was a beautiful spring day; thick trees dancing with the breeze, wildflowers popping up by the sidewalk, if she rolled down the window, she'd be greeted with the fresh scent of nature. As they drew near to her house she put her hand over her heart as if to say, you've got this, Sejeong-ah. As the two of them drove past the fields her family owned, she could see her mum step out of the house, wondering whose car it was that was approaching.

Hyoseop stopped the car in front of her house and turned to her, "You ready?"

Sejeong smiled at him, nodded, and stepped out of the car, "Umma!"

From the front porch, her mother's expression changed from one of confusion to pure joy, "Sejeong-ah! Come here, my beautiful girl!"

Sejeong skipped over happily to her mother, and gave her a big hug, "It's so good to see you."

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

Sejeong could hear Hyoseop step out of the car, "Umma, I have someone special I wanted you to meet."

"Oh? Who is it?"

Sejeong's mother turned her attention to the man walking over. Tall, handsome, and charismatic, he was dressed like a spring song, in a cream cardigan, white shirt and jeans. Sejeong didn't need to tell her who he was, he recognised her from all her pictures and from the drama.

Hyoseop walked over to them and bowed politely, "Hello, I'm honoured to finally meet you, I'm Ahn Hyoseop,"

"Umma," Sejeong said with a light blush on her cheeks, "meet my boyfriend."

A smile broke out on her mother's face, her heart swelling in happiness, "My goodness, how did you score yourself such a lovely boyfriend?" she teased and looked over at Hyoseop, "I'm thrilled to finally meet you, Hyoseop-ah. Thank you for taking care of my Sejeong."

"It's really Sejeong who takes care of me," he replied, "I don't know what I've done to deserve her love, but I wanted to come here today so you could get to know me, I know how important you are to Sejeong."

Sejeong's mum felt the sincerity of his words, "Of course! Sejeong's told me so much about you, but I can't wait to hear from the man himself. Come on in, let's fix you both up with some lunch after that long drive."

Sejeong's mum stepped inside the house. Before stepping in herself, Sejeong turned to look at Hyoseop, "You're amazing," she said to him.

He leaned down to kiss her forehead, "And you're perfect,"

She smiled, "Come on, let's go inside."

...

Hyoseop was having the time of his life. It felt like a dream being surrounded by her family. He sat next to her brother and across from her stepfather, who told stories about their mountain biking adventures. Laughter rang through the dining table, which was full of the most delicious food he had had in a while. Her mother had cooked soybean paste stew, which tasted perfect, almost exactly like how his own mother would make it.