Secret Unveiled

EDITED ON: 5/3/23

Words: 3341

The town was bustling with activity as the clock struck 12:00 PM. Workers were going on lunch breaks, kids were rushing to play on the playground, and restaurants began to waft the smell of grilled food in the air. Yes, it was rush hour on the streets of Hensonville, and a certain yellow-haired Muppet was waiting for someone. He stood on the corner of a street, phone in hand, and looking around with squinted eyes. Lips was his name, and the person he was waiting for was his boyfriend. With groups of people now crowding the sidewalk, it was becoming more difficult to find the shorter man. Even more so with the cars jammed on the street at a red light. A man on a bike almost ran him over as well, sneering at him as he passed. Great, another pissed off citizen, but that's not what he's worried about.

" Where is he? " Lips thought, tapping his foot. " He should've been here... " A nearby car's horn blared, causing him to instinctively tense up. People are so impatient nowadays. Not that Lips wasn't patient, but his patience could definitely last longer than them. Darrow was taking his sweet time to get to him and the orchestra of street sounds was getting louder by the second. Some may be asking why he and Darrow didn't drive to lunch together now that they've moved in with each other. Well, his lovely boyfriend had set up both a meeting up with an old friend and a lunch out with Lips on the same day. He promised that he would be able to time the events correctly to do both. So far, it looked like he might have underestimated how long his meet up with his friend would be.

A few screams sounded to his left as a big shadow passed overhead. It looked like a giant bird at first glance, but some sort of dark angel if one held their eyes onto it long enough. No one was able to get a good look though because it disappeared over the buildings and past the park. Weird. Ever since Lips and Darrow started dating, that was starting to happen more often. Must be a strange coincidence, but still. Minutes passed before Lips felt a hand on his shoulder and he looked down, finding his boyfriend standing next to him. Slung across his body was a small, dark teal bag with orange patches and his first initial stitched over the flap with the same orange shade. It looked new and was definitely not with him when he left that morning.

"Hey, sorry, Vee wanted to check out a few shops, get some treats, and then we had to pet the cats at PetSmart. I hope you weren't waiting too long," he explained, adjusting the strap on his shoulder. That explained the faint smell of animals on him. Lips smiled and intertwined his hand with Darrows, walking with him to a fast food restaurant he had his eye on. He looked at Darrow's outfit for the day and smiled again. Over his body was one of his dashikis, the white one with the design at the neck, sleeves, and bottom of the shirt. He wore it for The Great Muppet Caper and it was way too big for Darrow. Under that was a gray tank top and on his legs were a pair of shorts that stopped above his knees. Brown sandals adorned his feet as well. The overall fit seemed very comfortable, yet the dashiki looked a bit warm for the weather in June. Darrow could take it off at any time anywhere at his own accord.

The couple entered the fast food restaurant and stood in line, reading the menu on the wall. Lips mentally chose his dish and looked around the eating area for a spot. Most of the tables and booths had been taken by groups of friends, other couples, and office workers on their lunch break. Workers were busy behind the counter, some cooking, others rushing to take out orders, and a few stuck at the registers. One of the booths against the windows, however, was empty and cleaned off. A perfect spot for eating and also the only other free seating, just needing someone to sit in the empty space. He only hoped that he wouldn't be too late to take it.

"I'm gonna get the Pesto Cavatappi with water. Also saw a seat for us, so I'm gonna claim it for us," he told Darrow, "you can order our food by yourself, right?" A nod was given as a response. Claiming the spot was easy for the trumpeter, simply sitting in the booth before another couple could. Sure, they looked a bit pissed, but he got there first and there should be more seating outside. Darrow was finally at the register, seen from where the booth was situated. Lips took in every small movement he made; his fingers twitching as he walked to the counter, the way his hand shook some when he spoke, him pulling down his sleeves when he raised his arm. It was small things that made him fall more in love with the man, though that last fidget was new. No matter for now, the shorter man had received a number, the receipt, and two bottled waters, and was approaching the booth.