chapter 3 - holidays

Wednesdsy November 24th, 1987.
---- 10:56AM

"Duff! Cmon, we are already late enough to show up at my parents' house!"

We were home for Thanksgiving and had already spent time with duffs mom, brothers, and sisters - we were now onto my parents.

"It will be fine! They can wait, can't they?" Duff sorta ask, loading he luagge into the car.

"Are you crazy?" I turn and ask, "my brother, his wife, and 2 kids are there. My sister has been calling non-stop and annoyed with the time we've spent away - no! They can't duff."

He sighed, nodding, "Let's go then?"
....

We arrived, finally fucking arrived at my parents house.

"Fucking finally," I mumbled, hurring out of the car.

With my mom being sick, my brother having kids, and my sister and father growing older by the second, I had no time to waste.

"Jesus Christ," duff groaned, getting out of the car, "I'm fuckin' tall! It takes me a minute to get out of the damn car!"

"Well! grow shorter!"

He slammed the car door shut, looking baffled at what I just said, "What?"

"You heard me!" I snap, knocking on the door.

I heard shuffles coming from behind the door, the clicks.

"Rose!" My sister exclaimed, latching in for a hug, "I've missed you!"

"I've missed you katie!" I hug back tightly.

When she pulls back, she narrows her eyes at duff, "How the hell did he get taller?"

I look behind me to see Duff leaning on the pole smoking, only lifting his eyes up confused.

"What?"

My sister shrugs, "You look taller."

Duff shrugged, "You look shorter."

I see two little kids running towards the door, "Aunt Rose!"

I smiled at the two kids hugging my legs, "Hi jasper, hi ivy," I croch down to hug them.

My brother had two kids, twins, one little boy named jasper and one little girl named ivy, they were both 4 years old.

"How about we come inside?" My sister asks, holding the door open.

"Yea, it's kind of chilly out here," I nodded.

Jasper and ivy let go, running back inside, but before Duff could step inside, I stopped him.

"Put the cigarette out."

He looked at me, shocked, "Why?"

"There are two little kids and a sick mother in that damn house. Why else?"

He sighed, throwing it down and stopping on it, looking back up to me with a sassy look, "Better?"

"Yes, thank you."

I moved for him to come inside as he closed the door behind him, my sister leading us to where everyone was.

I saw my brother and his wife sitting on one couch, my mom in her recliner, and my dad in a seat right next to her. There was also a guy who looked around 18-19, sitting on the couch.

"Rose!" My mom smiled, opening her arms.

"Hi, momma!" I smiled, waking to her opened arms for a hug.

You could definitely tell she was sick - she was very pale and had a wrap over her head from where she was losing hair. She was very skinny.