Chapter 1 - The Protest

Warning: The story is slightly gloomy in the beginning. So, if you're expecting mc will fall head over heels in the very start, and there will be showers of fluffs and mush, then you'll be disappointed. I write angsty, slow-burn stories. And my stories deals with some kind of mental/psychological issues. So, you need to be aware of them when you read this story. This is just not any other Wattpad Billionaire CEO dark romance. So, read at your own risk.

This is the Book #3 of 'The Roys' series. If you haven't yet read The Velvet Healer (book #1) and Healing The Void (book #2), then I highly recommend those two books. If you haven't read them, it's fine too. You can read this book as standalone as well.

p.s. & #notsorry for the long chapter. XD

..

26th February

The crow fed her two chicks then ate the remaining piece of meat herself. The clever bird then flew away from her nest and came to sat on the window sill.

Ritusha stared at the crow intently without listening to the discussion between her doctor and her worried parents. A while later, she could swear the crow was also staring at her. It was like a staring contest. She frowned and glared at the crow while the crow tilted its head and stared back at her, in a challenging way. As if... mocking her about her vulnerability.

She clenched her jaws while her brows knitted in a severe frown. Her eyes suddenly burned from those unshed tears. There was a covert pain she couldn't show anyone...couldn't express. The repercussions of life's unfairness pricked inside her heart like a thousand needles. As if, she was stuck within a deep well filled with shards of broken window panes. Each one is replaying a separate sequence of the same movie... and she was the misunderstood anti-hero of that same movie, who had fallen from her grace.

Life used to be easier for her. As the only daughter and sister of the renowned Roys, she used to be conceited about her family background. People said her feet never touched the ground, and rightfully so. She understood the policy of life a little too early. There'd be people who'd see you as a competition and want you to lose. They'd expect you to suffer brutally after seeing the splendours of your success. People wouldn't care if you were an innocent compassionate soul. They'd hurt you nonetheless. Sometimes from the jealousy and sometimes, just for the sake of it.

Everyone complained she was judgmental. But she really was not. Most of the time, she could just see through people hiding their snake-like intentions behind a well-maintained mask.

So, she had to toughen up and built up a tenacious persona to protect herself. She became more selective with whom she befriended.

Despite all this cover up, her hard maintained persona was broken and buried down. Just because she was too careless to conceal her conceit.

And then, everything fell apart.

She clenched her fists and jaws before going completely rigid when the doctor called her name.

"Ritusha, are you taking all the medicines timely?"

She gulped then turned her head towards the doctor. Dr. Ishaan Khanna was a handsome young man who had been treating her since the accident happened. Precisely, four months ago.

The accident, which changed everything. Her life, her demeanour, her perspective... her will to continue. Everything changed that day.

One second, she was going to save her twin, and the next, someone knocked her down and her vision covered in complete darkness.