Passion Over Profit

Walking through the hallway of Tokisadame High School when you were this late was something of a spectacle for Mai. No one was outside their class, it was oddly quiet, and the only company you got if you were unlucky enough to arrive alone was the sunlight beaming through the windows. For Yuuko, it only served as a reminder for how careless she was. She had been in this situation too many times to appreciate its beauty, and approaching the doors of Class 3-Q only gave her an ever-present sense of dread. Even though Ms. Sakurai would exhibit her overly kind nature towards the missing project, Mr. Takasaki would still be first to receive the project until Sakurai arrived. Yuuko knew his policy all too well by now. Standing in front of the door with a sign on the wall labeled "3-Q" just above it, she sighed and opened the door slowly, with Mr. Takasaki collecting the projects at the front of the room. He turned to face the door, his neutral expression slowly shifting to one of annoyance.

"Aioi."

Yuuko knew she was guilty, she just had to put the final nail in the coffin.

"No… I don’t have my project."

Mr. Takasaki stood up with his fists clenched at his sides, slowly approaching the door. Yuuko felt her legs trembling.

"Tell me honestly, how have you managed to accomplish nothing with your project?"

"I-I… Still don't know what I'm gonna do after high school. This world has too many occupations and tasks for one to complete, I just… don't know where to start…"

Mr. Takasaki began to shift back to his neutral demeanor. He looked up from Yuuko's eyes, out the window. He then looked back into Yuuko's eyes solemnly.

"I… understand where you're coming from, but you have to understand that life is more complicated than doing the things you want to do. Sometimes… society just decides what you should do."

They both fell silent.

"Um, I only ask this out of curiosity, but… did you want to be a teacher, Mr. Takasaki?"

Takasaki's eyes widened. No student had ever asked him such a question before. In fact, he never really questioned it himself.

"Well… I was fine with the possibility of being a teacher, but… truthfully, I always wanted to be a poet. I'm glad that I get to analyze the great literature of this country, but sometimes… I wish that I could contribute. I want to be recognized."

Yuuko's eyes lit up.

"A… poet? Well, I've kinda wanted to be a poet, too…"

"Eh? Really?"

"Yeah… I've been writing a lot of haikus recently, but I can never think of any ending stanzas except for 'Mogami River'." She chuckled to herself.

"Well… maybe that's just your trademark."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that the Mogami River could be the defining aspect of all of your poems. It'll make you stand out."

Yuuko never thought of it this way, but it did sound nice to stand out.

"Mr. Takasaki…"

"Yeah?

"Do you think I should go for it?"

Takasaki stood there, thumb and index finger on his chin, earnestly thinking of a response.

"Go for it. Even if you think you have no hope, keep pushing for it."

"But what if another occupation pays more?"

Takasaki got down to Yuuko's level and put his hands on her shoulders.

"Passion always comes before profit. Why would you work a job you hate just to have money?"

"Does that mean you hate your job as a teacher?"

"N-no! I have regrets about being a teacher, but I'm at least grateful to share the literature which could possibly inspire our youth."

Yuuko looked at the floor for a few seconds, feeling out her commitment for the hobby in her head. She then looked back up at Takasaki.

"I'm gonna be a poet, then. And I'll try to never give up."

"That's the spirit." Takasaki stood up straight and cracked his knuckles. "If you have any poems written down, you can turn them into me and at least get partial credit."

"I have my project ready, Mr. Takasaki." Mai finally interjected.

"Minakami?!"

"I arrived late because my dogs wouldn't move from the front door. I got on the same train as Yuuko."

"Ah… very well. Turn it in on the table over by the window."

Mai walked in and assembled her diorama, carefully aligning and angling each statue. Yuuko turned in a few pages of poems she had written over the past few months.

"May I stand in the hallway with Yuuko, Mr. Takasaki?" Mai asked.

"Huh…? Uh, sure."

Mai grabbed Yuuko's hand and brought her into the hallway, closing the door to the classroom.

"Why would you wanna stand out here?" Yuuko asked politely.

"I came here to confess something."