AK's Little Women - OS

It is a long Easter weekend at the Kapadia house. The extended family had gone out on a trip and the house is now occupied by the three most positive and loving inmates – the bub Kapadia, the mummy AJ Kapadia and the papa AK Joshi.

Anu was on a video call with Samar & their DA's client, discussing the venue, finalizing on the music, style, props and costumes. She wanted to wind it up soon and run back to her pandas, as any moment with them is something she never wants to miss out on. Making memories with them has now become the one thing that constantly runs in her head.

Choti had her math exams post the holidays and her dad was helping her understand subtractions better. They were in their vast green living room, perched on the couch. Choti kept solving math puzzles, reciting '2 in the mind, take 7 fingers...' in a sing song manner.

The proud papa was watching her & wondering what she will grow up to be. He couldn't settle down on one because his little one wanted to be an astronaut a week back and an art teacher the previous night. He thought to himself, all he would want her to be was a happy and a kind human that held her head high on her shoulders, loved like her parents and lived like butterfly on earth.

His reverie was broken by a thud. The little monkey has completed her sums and closed her fat math text. Anu came running down the stairs to tell them that it might take another hour for her to finish up with the meeting. She asked them go ahead with their movie plan and said she'll join them soon.

Anu's pandas sulked and the bigger one said, 'Its ok Anu, we will wait for you till then, tum jao aur jaldi wapas aao. Keep sipping water.' The little panda too quipped, "Haan mummy. Papa and I will play chess till you complete your meet. We will watch movie only when you are back' Anu disappeared to get back soon.

He turned to the lil panda and asked, 'aap kuch khayenge?'The little one scrunched her nose and kept looking at him. He went into the kitchen and returned with a small platter of her favorite groundnut chikkis.

He settled next to her and kept the platter on her lap. The little potato was still observing him with her knotted brows. He prodded her cheeks with his index finger and asked, ' aapko kya hogaya? Are you upset?'. Choti shook her head and said, 'I have a question for you papa'

Anuj smiled and said, 'haan poochiye'

CA: when you told mummy that we will wait for her, what did you say?

Anuj: hmm... what did I say... I said, "tum jao aur jaldi finish karo" if I am not wrong..

CA: aur what did you ask me once mummy left?

Anuj: kya hua beta... why are you asking this.. ok let me try and recollect... haan I asked if you were hungry.

CA: offo papa!!! try and remember the exact words na

Anuj: exact words??! Achhca I might have asked, 'aap kuch khayenge?' right?

CA: haan papa.

Anuj: ok.. so why are you asking me this?

Meanwhile Anu's meeting had ended sooner and she came down to surprise her pandas. Hearing their sweet conversation, she silently stood near the stairs waiting for her moment to give a grand entry.

CA: mummy is elder to me and you address her 'tum' and I am younger to you, but you address me 'aap'. Kyun papa?

Anuj was taken aback by his little mom-in-law's observation skills. He adjusted his specs and looked at her with wide eyes and half open mouth.

Anu was surprised too. She always knew kids ask the smartest questions and that their daughter can give any adult a run for money with her IQ and EQ. She was now excited to hear what answer her husband had for their child's question.

This question has never occurred to Anu. But now she too starts to think why Anuj addressed them this way.

Is it something very spontaneous or is it something that had a deeper meaning, she thought.

Anuj took his little bunld of joy in an embrace, kissed her forehead and said, "you are my clever daughter. We all are always proud of you.'

CA: I know papa. I am clever. Now tell me why you call mummy tum and...

AK: achcha achcha I got your question. Now I am going answer... first you take a bite of this chikki..

He fed her. Wiped the crumbs off her little mouth and continued.

AK: look kiddo. You mummy is my best friend...

CA: and I am not your friend? Isilye you call her tum and me aap?

AK rolls her eyes and thinks "gosh she is so much like her mom. Doesn't let me finish"

Anu was enjoying his state and laughing siltently from a distant corner.

AK: no beta. You are my friend too. Your mummy is my friend, love, soulmate, wife – to put it simple for you... she is a part of me, beta.

CA nods. And I intently listening.

AK: Almost every emotion I have for her, I have for you too.

But with you, there is one more emotion attached, that might not be in my equation with your mummy.

Or it could be there, but in a much smaller scale... chotu sa when compared to what I have for you.

Aap janna chathe hai what emotion that is?

CA vigorously nodded yes. So did Anu, from a distance.

AK: the emotion is responsibility. My responsibility to shape your self respect.

To make you think and feel of yourself as an individual. To make you value your own opinions, thoughts and feelings.

Choti listend to her papa with absolute attention.

AK wondered if he was putting his point across in a simple way for his intelligent child to grasp. He hoped he did not end up confusing her.

AK: Kiddo, little people like you watch adults and learn.

For you to think of yourself as an individual with thoughts, I will have to treat you as an individual and respect you as that. Which I've been doing since we met. You are not just my daughter, your age doesn't matter, neither is what you know and what you don't. papa sees you as a person. Respects you, your thoughts, opinions and words.

And papa thinks you should also think of you as a person.

So 'aap' is papa's way of showing respect. with your mummy it is different. I show my respect in a different manner and she feels that in a different manner. 

You are papa's little woman. You got it kiddo?

CA flashed her dimples and shouted, "yes papa! I am your little woman."

She jumped from the couch, took a bite of the chikki and ran inside shouting, "I will go bring the chess board, papa"

AK knew she might have understood a little and will understand better in times to come. But for now, he thought they were doing a decent job.

He stretched and got up to see Anu beaming proudly at him. He understood she must have listened to their conversation. He spread his arms out and Anu ran into his embrace.

AK: so mohatarma. Your daughter is growing up fast.

Anu: haan. She has got the best influence in you.

AK: and I got my best in you. I love you Anu.

Anu: but now I love Choti's papa more. Sorry.

AK: achcha ji... but I will always love my Choti's papa's biwi more. Ok!?

Anu: theek hai... I love Choti's papa soooo muccchh

CA comes running...

CA: mein bhi mein bhi... mummy move away. this is my papa. You go love your 'Kapadiaji' na...

Anu: haaawwww! Look at her. You move. I will love your papa only.

CA: no mummy....

AK had the time of his life with his little women.