Chapter 1

My mom was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia. She had her good and bad days, but my brother and I stayed with her, and on her last good day, we talked for hours. The next day, she died. I was 12, and my brother was eight. We waited in the waiting room. I was holding him as we waited for Dad to get back. When we got home, we fell asleep crying, holding each other.

The next day, I walked through the woods to the Hale house; Talia Hale stood outside on the porch. I had tears in my eyes as she hugged me, holding me as I cried out some of my pain.

I was friends with Cora and Derek, and three days later, I learned about werewolves. Derek and I were walking through the woods around his house when a deer ran towards us, only to run away as a growl came from my right. Turning, I saw Derek's eyes glowing yellow; his teeth turned into canines. I stared at him wide-eyed, not moving.

I don't know how long we stood there as Derek's eyes stopped glowing and his teeth shrank. He moved towards me, but I was frozen. He moved to grab me but stopped and turned towards his right, looking into the woods.

"Peter, help me bring her to my mom."

"What did you do?" Peter picks me up, walking through the woods with me, staring at him.

"There was a deer, and I growled."

"She saw you shift. That explains the wide-eyed look."

They walked into the house, moving to the living room. Peter sat me on the couch before Talia entered the room.

"What happened?" She crouches in front of me.

"A deer was running at us. I growled at it, and she saw me shift." Derek said, looking down.

"Anastasia, focus on me, no one else," Talia says.

"Am I going crazy?"

Tears fell from my eyes as I stared at Talia.

"You are not going crazy. I will tell you the truth, but you can not tell anyone. Your family can not know."

I look from Talia to Peter and Derek, then back to her.

"I won't tell."

She smiles at me before her eyes glow red. And her face changes. My eyes widen as I look at her, not moving.

"We are werewolves."

"Werewolves."

"Ann, if you don't want to see us anymore, we won't blame you," Derek says, looking at me.

"I would not do that. Some things you say now make more sense." I say, smiling at them.

Talia brings me to the study, tells me things, and helps me understand the supernatural.

Three weeks later, I have not talked to Derek, Cora, or Peter as I have focused more on my brother. He has had panic attacks. I help him and talk him through them as well as I can.

Walking through the woods I see the shadow of the Hale house. Walking up the front I stop and knock. Derek opens the door then I am ingulfed in a hug.

"Derek, you will kill her if you continue squeezing her." Someone says it sounds like Peter.

He drops me down, an apologetic look on his face.

"Are you ignoring us?" Derek asks with a frown.

"No, I was helping my brother," I say, smiling sadly as Derek lets me inside.

I hung out with Derek, Core, Peter, and Laura for a few hours before Talia came in and told me she would drive me home.

I thank Talia for the ride and walk inside. I look into Stiles's room and see him sound asleep in bed. I turn the light off and move to my room. I change into PJs and fall asleep.