Chapter One: The Sorting Hat

A/N: Hi! This is Samantha and I will be writing this story with the help of Raven.I came up with this book idea a long time ago, however, I thought it wasn't good quality so I deleted it. The only character I own is Ara, the other characters belong to JK Rowling.

----

I gulped as fear consumed my body. My hands were clammy and my heart was racing. I didn't know why I was scared. I was just being sorted into the house that would decide my future at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Especially since I was a Malfoy, where I was expected to be a Slytherin. My brother, Draco looked confident and was strutting up the steps like a king. Walking alongside him was Pansy Parkinson, who I met on the train. She was okay, but quite obnoxious.

I continued up the marble stairs as I took in my surroundings. The castle didn't appear to look old. Perhaps it was just the ancient feel to it. The floors looks brand new, and the pillars untouched. I looked up, and saw an older woman peering down upon us. She wasn't old in a frail kind of way, she appeared to be a kind-hearted person. We moved up the steps closer to her and I got a better look. She was were green velvet robes, and her silver hair was up in a slick bun. She wore a black pointed hat which covered a bit of her forehead.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," she greeted us in a warm-voiced tone,"In a moment you will walk through these doors and join your classmates. But, first you must be sorted into your houses. There is Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin.Wait here a moment."

With that she left and I stood by Draco who had began doing something stupid.

"So it's true then," Draco said abruptly, breaking the silence,"Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

My ears perked up, I hadn't been paying attention on the train and I didn't care who Harry Potter was. Way to go Harry! You lived, I did that someone give me a medal. I know he is still out there. My father is still worried about many things and not just work. I walked behind Draco and looked at him. He had black hair and green eyes. Harry wore glasses and bore a scar on his forehead.

"And you," I smirk,"Red hair, hand-me-down robes. Must be a Weasley."

Draco looked at me, genuinely impressed. The boy with red hair covered his robes and grumbled,"Who are you?"

"Ara Malfoy," I say, mischievously grinning,"And who are you, there are so many Weasleys I tend to lose count."

The boy with red haired groaned. I turned around and saw the Professor, then scurried back into place with Draco.

"We are ready for you now," she smiled and led us through great oak doors.

As soon as we entered, all of the students looked at us. I walked nervously with the other first years. I tripped over my shoes a few times and probably looked like a fool. I'm positive I heard a few snickers from the Weasley. I brushed it off and walked up to Pansy. "Nervous?" I asked her.

"No," she sneered,"Are you?"

"Why would I be?"

I gathered with the rest of the first years at the foot of the stage where there was a stool, with a old, matty hat sitting on top. I frowned. The best wizarding school around and this is what they have? And Daddy wanted to send me to Durmstrang. He would've made it work. However, the hat spontaneously burst into song and started with,"Although you might not think I'm pretty."

It made sense, I ignored the rest of the song and peered over at the Slytherin table. Some of them were quite ugly. I looked back over to the hat, and sitting behind it was Severus Snape. I loathed him. I saw him once in the Manor, talking to my father. He was a spiteful person, who I bet never knew love. I never knew how he felt about anything.

"Ara Malfoy!" the Professor called, interrupting my thoughts. Apparently the song was over and the sorting had started. I walked up hesitantly, time to see where my loyalties lie. I sat upon the wooden pedestal and the hat was dropped on my head.

"You have a cunning mind, much like your parents. However, I do not plan to put you in Slytherin," the sorting hat bellowed,"You may not be brave now, but you will be later."

"Please put me in Slytherin!" I begged,"My parents would be furious if I got put in Gryffindor."

"Are you su-"

"I'm positive," I interrupted.

"Very well, SLYTHERIN!" the hat shouted.