Chapter 4: The Hogwarts Express

I looked away from the boy with tangled hair and green eyes. I couldn't help but look back. Of course, I go to school with him and I should at least take time to say hi as I pass him in the hallway, but I took a long hard look at his eyes.  They were tired, he had obviously seen too much for a 15 year old boy to handle. Before I could eavesdrop, he was ushered to the train by his best friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. They were alright, but I never really saw them. I once made fun of her bushy hair, which Draco told me to do. Let's just say I  can be persuaded easily.

I looked over to mother, who was giving Draco one last hug. I walked over to her and asked, "Do you have one... one.. of the things?" I gestured to her left arm.

"Let's just say I could wear short sleeves if I wanted to," she smiled and said, before giving me one last hug."

"Goodbye," I said as I boarded the train with Draco. As soon as I turned, I was greeted by the very annoying Pansy Parkinson.

"Malfoy," she said rudely.

"You know," I said while smiling mischieviously, " I don't have to put in a good word for you with my brother."

She smirked and with that, I turned on my flats and followed Draco down the hall.

"So who do you think the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor will be?" I asked Draco as we paraded down the train.

"If we're lucky, maybe someone who is actually trained for the position." he said with a dull tone.

"Totally," Pansy sneered.

PANSY! What a stalker!

"Pansy," I smiled and said in the nicest way possible, "Why are you following us?"

"I'm heading to the prefects cabin," she bragged, " Where might you be heading?"

"Pansy's a prefect!" I shouted, " Pansy. Draco. Prefects. Is the world ending? Draco, now I believe you are right when you say that Dumbledore is a crackpot old fool!"

"Well don't point fingers at me!" he said, "I never chose the prefects."

"Let's just say I'll be shocked if either one of you are head boy/girl in your seventh year." I teased.

Draco continued walking, and Pansy gave her signature smirk. I followed Draco down to the prefects cabin and he said, "Goodbye dear sister, see you soon."

"Yeah, yeah," I said with a fake cry, "I'm gonna miss you so much, my little prefect brother."

"You wish," he smirked, " And I'm 17 minutes older."

Pansy and Draco walked into a cabin, leaving me all alone. Quickly, I took a nearby, empty cabin. I pulled out my book and began to read.

"Oh book," I smiled and said, "You would never judge me."

I looked at my watch, 3 minutes until we left. I stood up and looked around at the other compartments. All of them were full except for mine. Maybe I'd have a friend sit with me. Just to my luck, Luna Lovegood came walking down the compartments, carrying her Quibblers and wearing her Spectrespecs.

"Luna!" I called, hoping she would catch my eye.

"Hi Ara!" She chirped and began walking over to my compartment

Luna is amazing, she is the only person in Hogwarts I could ever trust.  Ever since our 2nd year (Luna's 1st year), Luna and I became best friends working on our defensive spells. Yet, I'm always scared my brother will find out that one of my good friends is Luna Lovegood. But if my father found out, that would be an entirely different story. Even though I occasionally tease others and hex the living daylights out of them, Luna is kind enough to overlook that. She's also been looking into anger-management classes that I so desperately need.

"How was your summer Ara?" she smiled sweetly as she entered the compartment.

I thought about another word to describe 'A Death Eater Summer'

"Good,"  I lied, trying to cover it up with smile, "And you?"

"It was fun," she said.

The silence lingered for a good 30 seconds, until Luna piped up, "Do you want a Quibbler?"

"No, thanks," I said, " I have all the reading I need in here."

I held up my book and showed her the cover.

"Ara Andromeda Malfoy!" she scolded, " How dare you read Madcap Magic For Wacky Warlocks. I told you to stop reading these trick books!"

"I'm sorry Luna. Here." I moaned, handing her my books.

"I'll just read this!" I said, rummaging through my bag for Book of Potions By: Zygmunt Budge.

"Better?" I asked, holding up my potions book.

"Much," she giggled, and continued reading the Quibbler.

Before I could start reading my book, I looked up and saw Neville, Ginny, and Harry all standing in the doorway. Luna noticed them too, she put down her Quibbler. She never puts down her Quibbler!

"Do you mind?" Neville asked, breaking the tension.

"No," I mumbled from behind my book.

I pressed closer to the wall, not to make room, but to get as far away as possible. Neville sat on my side of the bench, Harry and Ginny next to Luna. I looked out the window, and slowly the train began to pull away. All of the fathers were waving, and some of the mothers were tearing up.

"Are your parents on the loading platform?" Luna asked.

I looked back out the window again before saying,"Nowhere in sight."

The train ride continued in absolute silence. Except for the occasional odd comment from Luna. I had read front to back of Book of Potions about 2 times before Hermione and Ron joined the compartment.

"You'll never believe this!" Hermione complained as soon as she entered.

"Here we go," I whispered to myself.

"Draco Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson are the Slytherin prefects!" she continued, "If we're lucky, the school won't end corrupt by the end of the year!"

"Hello!" Luna piped up merrily as Hermione and Ron walked in and took their seats next to Neville. Which squished my face closer to the wall. One more person and I wouldn't be able to breathe.

"Hi," Hermione huffed, out of breath from her constant complaints.

"Hi!" I said sarcastically, "Really enjoying this little chat about my brother."

"Wait," Ron stammered, " You're Ara Malfoy?"

"Honestly, you go to school with someone for four years and you think they would know who you are," I snapped.

"You made the orange on all my Chudley Cannons things an ugly green," he stuttered, "The worst part is that I can't change it back."

"It was Pansy's idea," I sighed, " She told me to do it. Pansy's not the brightest when coming up with clever ways to run other people's lives."

"Wait," Harry said in a confused tone, "You're a Malfoy?"

I groaned, " Is there a problem with that? Shouldn't you know that?"

"No," he sighed, " I was going to ask you a question."

"Go on," I said.

"As of now, what do you know about You-Know-Who and the Death Eaters?"

A/N: Yay! Another update! Two nights in a row! Hope you enjoy. I'll try to get another one up this week. If I get to 50 reads I will put up another! I ONLY OWN ARA, ALL OF THE OTHER CHARACTERS BELONG TO J.K. ROWLING.