Blood

I stayed firm. It wasn't like this was the first time Hera had gotten the armband.

Really, could my husband not keep a hold of it? I always thought Thanatos was the better of the two.

Hermes was probably fine. Just like the last time Hera had attacked him. That's what I kept telling herself. He was a god, I never have to worry about him.

I have myself to worry about now. I have to worry about Hyacinthus. That's easier.

"What, gonna bring the giants back again?" I mocked. "Them beating you the first time wasn't enough."

I knew the slap was coming and I didn't dodge it. I found the sound oddly satisfying, even as my ears rang.

"Zeus saved you then, didn't he?" I purred.

"Alithia..." Hyacinthus whispered, looking past me to Hera in concern.

"That is so sad. For once, he was the good guy, in the right. And you," I met her eyes, flashing with rage. "You were the cheater."

If was sure she'd kill me then, and I would have relished it. Not that I want to die, mind you. But I'd be victorious wasting away on the shire of hades knowing she had failed.

If Hades or Seraphim wanted me dead, I'd be so already. They wanted something.

I would never give it, alive or dead, but there was something delicious about Hera delivering my body to them, stealing from them the chance to torture me themselves.

But Hera stopped. She was frozen. Not in fear, exactly, more apprehension. Looking out to the sea. To the boat that was now docked beside them.

When had we gotten so close? Or it so close to us? Why am I surprised? I'm married to Hermes, I know how fast the gods can be.

Hades and Seraphim now crossed the boardwalk to us. Welp, there goes my victorious dead body.

"Alithia of Dinos." Hades bowed slighted to my chained form on the ground. "So nice to finally meet you."

"I too to you, Hades, who will rule over us all in eventuality." I responded, not bowing my head.

Hyacinthus looked at me in shock, maybe even a bit of anger. To him Hades was the enemy.

He was to me too, in a way. But he was also the ruler of the kingdom I would one day enter. I owed him a little respect, didn't I?

Beside he had not declared war against my kingdom. Yet.

I felt a personal enemyship to him, but I didn't him a full-blown enemy. Yet.

"And Hyacinthus." He added, and the mortal-made-god responded by looking away.

"Cousin." I nodded to Seraphim.

He looked flustered. Well it wasn't like Hades didn't already know. He knew all the lives of all beings. All the steps they took to the present.

Besides, an adopted princess was bot a sad relation to have.

You probably find my affection for him odd. I do too, sometimes. He has slaughtered many. Adults, innocent people. Old people who only had a day left.

But he had never slayed a child. Many gods, many mortals, could not say that. Besides, he had killed our shared enemy in the violent fashion of revenge I would have favored.

And he was the last once to see my mother alive. I swore I could see the reflection of her murder in his eyes.

We were not cousins by blood, but I felt connected to him in a way I did with no one else in my family.