Chapter 1

APRIL 1ST, 2002

†KAIEN†

The lunch bell rang and the students quickly packed their bags and grabbed their books to exit the class, all wanting to be the first to make it to the school’s canteen for fast-food Monday. The school’s president made it a promise to have only fast-food served every Monday to help students who are not Monday lovers if elected and she delivered. Marcus and I got there quickly and grabbed our doubles and spicy chili BBQ chicken with fries and sour-cream garlic sauce before it run out—had that happened, it would only leave us with the choice of Hawaiian pizza and basic dried fried chicken.
I’m walking down the stairs near the side of the building, which led down to the field with my best friend Marcus, whose mouth was already watering for the hot doubles in his takeaway bowl. Since we had something important to discuss, I wanted to have lunch on the grounds behind the school where mango trees give great shade to the lunch tables underneath. Besides, I didn’t want the other nosey students listening in on our conversations.
We’d already begun discussing the scholarship I’d gotten from Musheria Tech when I felt someone shove me hard from behind, almost making me trip down the last flight of stairs. I quickly caught myself from tripping down the last four steps. I turned around and saw my girlfriend whom I’d been dating for about two years, Loralai. She stood a few steps above me with tears in her cornflower blue eyes, giving me a look more furious than the usual of annoyance.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” I asked, tilting my head with slight confusion.

She stomped her way down to meet me, not saying a word, her blue eyes glistening with tears almost hiding the fury behind them. I’d felt it before I’d heard it. She’d slapped me so hard across my face, that I could still feel the heat of the impact as I rubbed it.

“What the hell was that for?” I yelled.

She sniffled and tried to hit me again, but I grabbed hold of both her hands and held them in front of her, demanding an explanation for what was going on. She tried to pull her hands from my grip, but I was not having it. I did not want to give her the opening to slap me again.

“How could you do this to me, Kaien?” she sobbed, tears flowing down her blushed cheeks. “You’ve ruined my future!”

She puzzled me. Nothing could come to mind as a reason why I had made her cry. “Lora, what are you talking about?” I said confused

She sniffled again. “What am I talking about?” she repeated my question. “I’m talking about this!” she raised her voice and pulled her hands free from my grip.

She shoved one in her back pants pocket and pulled out a pregnancy test. She held it in front of my face for a moment before tossing it at me. It hit my chest and fell to the ground. I did not bother taking my eyes off her. I was too stunned. This had to be some kind of joke. I loved Loralai, yes, but I was only eighteen years old and I still had a future to look forward to. How could this have happened? She told me she was on the pill and I know we used a condom, so how could she be pregnant?

Marcus bent down and picked the pregnancy test up from the pavement, removed the cover, and sniffed it. “It’s a fresh one too,” he said. “Did you just pee on this?”

“Eww Marcus!” I let go of her other hand and grabbed it from him.

For the first time, I looked at it and I could most definitely see the barely visible, two red lines that read positive.

“Y—you took this?” I asked.

“Yes Kaien,” she answered, wiping her cheek of tears with her manicured nails and folding her arms under her chest, “I’m happy to take a blood one if you need me to—the baby is yours.”