o n e

14 years ago
Alice pov:

I'll be out by tonight with my little Athena. Santino has used violence against me, and I won't stay any longer. I love my boys and I always will, but they won't understand. I fell in love with Andre. My bags are already at his house, he's just waiting for me and Athena.

Finally, all my boys are asleep. I put them all to bed tonight, and tears wet my cheeks. I know Vincenzo feels that something is wrong, and he will hate me after I leave. He's 11, and he loves Adriana so much. The others might not remember or understand...

They will never forgive me. I walk towards our room, knowing he will hit me. Just this one time and then I'll be gone forever. Santino knows I'm in love with another man. But he thinks I'm too scared to leave, and he thinks I'll never leave my boys behind. I will, even if it hurts like hell.

When I enter our room I am met with a slap. "Fucking whore" he spits at me. He's drunk. As always.
My cheek stings and tears leave my eyes, again.

I stay still as he grabs my arm and pushes me onto the bed. Crawling to the headrest, I hope that he won't do more.

Thankfully, he just gets in bed and passes out like every other night.

I wait till I'm really sure he is completely asleep and then get myself together. I really hope he'll get it together and will be a good father for our boys. quietly I get up and pack a duffel with some things that I'll need for the journey to Andre that I couldn't get before.

Then I walk to my babys room. Adriana Athena. I see her sleeping soundly. I softly pick her up and put her in her carrier. She wakes up and I shut her up with her pacifier before she can wake up anyone. She looks confused but I comfort her.

A light sleeper, just like Vincenzo. Shutting her door quietly, I walk to the front door. There are no guards inside since Adriana's birth. I'm glad. Andre's men are waiting for me in a car a little away from our mansion. I sneak out of my former home, trying not to be seen by guards as they will alarm Santino.

  Only when I'm safe inside with Adriana, I allow myself to relax. We got away. The drive lasts nearly two hours, and she sleeps through it thankfully.

Andre waits for us with his son, Nicholas. He's already 5, but nearly falling asleep while standing. I greet Andre with a hug. Nicholas looks at Adriana with big eyes. "Is she my sister now?" He asks. I smile "If you want her to be, yes" Andre doesn't smile, but he takes Adriana's carrier and we go upstairs.

_________ present:

I used to care.
Seriously.

But that's in the past now.
I might be able to act but truly, I'm numb.

It's done.
Finally.

Without looking back I walk out of the building I once used to call home.
That was years ago.