Sightseeing at Antietam National Battlefield

Antietam National Battlefield is a historic site in Maryland that preserves the location of the Battle of Antietam, which was fought on September 17, 1862, during the American Civil War. The battlefield covers an area of approximately 3,255 acres and includes a museum and visitor center, several monuments and memorials. Today, Antietam National Battlefield is a popular destination for history enthusiasts and anyone interested in learning more about the Civil War.

Historic Buildings at Antietam National Battlefield

This battle was a decisive point in the American Civil War as it marked the first major engagement between two forces that resulted in massive casualties. Still standing are various monuments and buildings at Antietam National Battlefield that have become landmark sites for visitors to tour and explore today. One of the best ways to experience Antietam is by taking one of its many guided tours.

One of the most notable historic buildings at Antietam is the Dunker Church, which served as a landmark and field hospital during the battle. The church is a small, plain structure made of fieldstone, and it is located near the center of the battlefield. Although it suffered damage during the battle, it was repaired and remains standing today as a testament to the events of that day.

Visitors to Antietam can explore these and other historic buildings as they learn about the events of the Battle of Antietam and the impact of the Civil War on American history.