***

There was only one second to figure out what was going to happen in the next moment, and less than a second to make the right decision.

Disbelief flashed in Ranrok's eyes as Protego's glowing shield momentarily repelled his impulsive attack, protecting his brother from being hit by magic and probably death. He shifted his gaze to the wizard's face, distorted by consternation, and whose hand still rested on Lodgok's shoulder, a last-minute defensive gesture displayed. Another furious roar erupted from his chest, his armor glowing red, but the next charge hit the wall as his opponents were already on their way to the wagon, and the moment the green lightning of Rookwood's Avada flew over his head, they were no longer in the shaft.

It seemed as soon as clear skies arose overhead, and fresh snow beneath their feet, all the tension and fear must have passed, so unnatural did the contrast seem between the calm nature outside the mine, and what had happened inside. However, they continued to run until they found themselves at a safe distance from Ranrok's soldiers' camp, and then they leaned against the cool rock to catch their breath. His heart was pounding, and Harvey, face hidden in the crook of his elbow, tried to hide the anxious tears in his eyes from Lodgok.

"I'm sorry my brother never listened to us, and I'm sorry he took the diary," said Lodgok, interpreting the wizard's gesture in his own way. "I really didn't expect him to attack us. Now we're in even more trouble."

With a sympathetic look in his eyes he reached for his robes, but Harvey, with a sob, suddenly knelt in front of him and embraced, no longer embarrassed by the fact that tears were falling on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry you had to go it alone," he said, and opened his embrace when Lodgok patted him abashedly on the shoulder. Harvey finally found the strength to look at him, though the unsolicited tears still tugged at the corners of his eyes. "But it's not over yet, I promise I'll try... That there was a way to make it right, I..."

He stopped talking, unable to speak any further, and rose to his feet. They had to go, for even at this distance from the mine was not safe, and pursuit could not be ruled out. The shouts of goblins and the clanking of metal could still be heard behind them. As long as those sounds were around, the nervous tension still wouldn't let go, and it was hoped that if they were far enough away it would pass. Harvey ran away, trying to hear something through the noise of blood and heart pounding in his ears, and the only reassurance was that he was not alone, and that Lodgok was right beside him.

***

"It's awfully risky to do this right now," Lodgok objected and reached out to place his palm on the wizard's hand, drawing his attention. "Besides, there's no way my brother would agree to a meeting to talk. He wouldn't listen to me, and I've tried so many times to reason with him, and given his attitude toward wizardkind..."

"I know," Harvey answered quietly. "But we have no other choice, and I'm willing to risk it again. I have a plan, and if it works..."

"You are too stubborn," Lodgok
K smiled sadly. "You remind me of him in some way."

"Alas, Hufflepuffs are stubborn," Harvey replied, grinning as he grasped his outgoing palm and gave it a confident squeeze.

Asking Ranrok to negotiate when things had already gone this far, when he had knowledge of the last vault of magic, and when he already felt almost like a winner in a war that had not yet begun, was indeed eminently unwise. There was no guarantee at all that Ranrok would agree to a meeting at all, as Lodgok was worried. Granted, he had lost an ally in Rookwood after they had tacitly broken off their cooperation in that mine by trying to kill each other, but even without Rookwood he was still just as dangerous and powerful. So when they received a reply from Ranrok some time after sending their message that he was ready to meet, Lodgok had more doubts about the reasonableness of the whole affair.