Chapter 2: The Library

"Here are your rooms," Grand Madeleine showed everyone to their rooms, "They should be the same rooms you had last time. We'll be serving dinner in a couple of hours, that should give you all some time to settle in."

"Thank you for your hospitality." Wildberry took off his gauntlet and set it on the nightstand next to the bed.

"My pleasure. It's always exciting to have guests over."

Gingerbrave ran into his room, and jumped onto the bed, he sunk right down into the mattress.

"Ha! Ha! Ha! I almost forgot how soft these beds are!" He laughed as the bed engulfed him, "help! I'm stuck!"

"I got you." Madeleine pulled Gingerbrave out of the bed.

"Phew, thanks."

One of Madeleine's aunts led Espresso to his guest room, "we made sure to provide a bookshelf for your books, Madeleine mentioned in his letters about how you like to carry a lot of books with you. You know, you never really visited us during your last visit, you spent most of your time at the institute, I heard that you invented magic candy out of the power from the ancient heroes' soul jam itself, and got into a ton of trouble. Do you think you could make Madeleine Cookie a Magic Candy? I hear all the adventures he's been on and I'm afraid that he might get hurt. We just want him to have a backup plan."

"I can assure you that Madeleine Cookie doesn't need any Magic Candy, he's fine on his own." Espresso replied back as he unpacked his portable coffee maker, already feeling slightly annoyed.

"But what if our boy gets attacked by a dragon while he's out there?! I heard a story about a Cookie who fought a dragon and ended up getting badly burned. I don't think I can deal with our precious Maddie getting injured."

"Madeleine and I have faced a dragon before, Madeleine doesn't need any Magic Candy. He'll be fine." Espresso repeated as he neatly unpacked his books.

"Espresso! Come check this out!" Gingerbrave stuck his head in the room, "Madeleine just told me that there's a library just down the hall."

"Really?" Espresso got up and followed after Gingerbrave.

"Mm-hm! The library is a staple of the Madeleine mansion, it was built by my grandfather as an anniversary gift to his wife. It has three levels spanning back to when my family built the mansion, it has family records, books from all over Earthbread, including the rarest book that some say to have belonged to the witches. It's actually just fragments of a book called "vitae tellus". My great uncle bought it at an auction for over ten thousand diamonds and five bags of refined skill powders." Madeleine explained.

"Does anyone know what it's about?" Espresso asked.

Madeleine shook his head, "No, it's in a very old language and just a small fragment of a book. There were seven page fragments being auctioned off, most of them to private collectors, and three to the saint pastry order; they paid up to five million diamonds and eight bags of pristine skill powders in total."

"That's quite a lot of diamonds." Wildberry remarked, scratching his chin.

"I know! It's also said that there was a pure bread cake pop hound puppy that almost went up to a hundred million diamonds." Madeleine remarked, turning down the hall.

"Why would someone want a cake hound for that much?" Crunchy Chip commented, "it's not like it's any use, especially a cake pop hound, all they ever do is yap and nip at other Cookies' ankles."

"They're pretty popular in the Hollyberry Kingdom among the elite as lap dogs." Wildberry said.

"Yeah, but why have a tiny cake hound when you can have a wolf?"