The Things I Lost In The Fire

"I lost a lot that night. I lost my colleague, my best friend, and my partner in crime. Emily and I  always found something to get into when we were together. Tonight we are here to mourn the loss of a Federal Agent, Daughter, Cousin, Niece, and especially a friend. My... Friend. Emily never took no for an answer, she was hard-headed as hell. I know right now she's watching from above laughing at me trying not to cry. I wish I could have spent more time with her. Honestly, Emily would not want to hear this, she would want to hear how she is a badass, criminal kicking, asshole. I.. Um... I hope she feels at peace now. I know she doesn't believe in god but I'd like to think whatever she believes in is beautiful, comfortable, and peaceful." 

The whole time I was delivering that speech everything kept replaying in my head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Derek.... Let me go" 

"Em," tears filled my eyes.

"Please Em stay awake" I begged while putting pressure on her wound.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"She never made it off the table" 

Hearing that made me crumble. The only person I could truly open up to was gone like that. Why must god pick and choose? Why Emily? Why not Ian? Why not all the criminals in the world? Sure Emily had a rough start but she was a good person. She was an adorable goofball who would never hurt a fly. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing her picture on the wall tore me to shreds. Our Emily, MY Emily on that wall. Strauss offered us all leave time and counseling. It's mandatory to take at least a day off to mourn the loss of a teammate. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Emilys' Apartment

"Where is Sergio?" I asked looking around for the cat.

Then suddenly I felt something attack my leg and climb up it.

"Hi buddy"

I went into her room to feed him, when suddenly I was hit with her scent. I almost started bawling. Spence and I were the last ones there. I was sitting on her bed and Spence came to join me.

"Derek"

"Hmm?" 

"I miss her a lot. Like so much I just want to crawl in her bed and never get out" Spence said. 

"That sounds like a plan," I said laying down on one of her pillows.

We both sat there crying. I fell asleep and I guess Spencer did too. When I woke up it was the next day. Each and every day Hurts so much worse than the last.

"Spence I feel like I lost so much more than a friend" 

"Were you two"

"No, but I loved her. I still do"

"Dont beat yourself up for not telling her D"

"I just kinda wish I wasn't the one who found her. What she said made this one million times harder to process"

"What did she say"

"She said "Let me go" She didn't even want to fight"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ended up taking Sergio because he was the only piece of her besides the memories I have.