Chapter 4: The Cold Truth

(I'm trying to sleep, and I had an intrusive thought (If that's the correct definition for it) pop into my head. And that thought is really, and I MEAN REALLY, getting self-projected onto Jake at the beginning of this chapter. There are obviously some differences between what I'm self-projecting onto Jake verse what Jake is actually going through. I might explain how I'm feeling at the bottom, but I know the feeling is probably going to go away tomorrow, and my brain's instinctual coping mechanism will be working its "magic")

I'm glad I managed to get a chapter out.

Jake stayed home that day, laying under the covers, with his eyes closed but his mind completely awake.

A wish from his family.

He knew Zoey told their parents about what happened. Thus they asked him to stay home.

Jake didn't mind it but was extremely bored.

"Have you ever realized you're a boring nobody to everyone?"

His eyes shot open at the thought, realizing how true it was.

There is always something about everyone that distinguishes them from others. It isn't always their looks or their personalities. Sometimes it isn't something they do, but, just, something about them that makes them different.

Jake doesn't know what Hailey likes about him.

There's nothing there to like in the first place. If there even was something, it went away when everyone laughed at him at the Show in Tell in kindergarten.

He's a nobody.

There is nothing that makes him any different from the average student or bystander. Everyone Jake sees at school, home, or someone he hears about has something to them that makes them special.

People hang out with each other because they love each other as a person and are liked enough by them to stick around.

Jake, on the other hand, is only loved by family, and his siblings (Parents, too) liked him enough to keep him around. But everyone else doesn't love or like anything about him.

Most people stray from him due to his reputation or find it fun to poke at him for a reaction.

Jake can't understand it anymore. Why people hated him from the start? Why he's so envious of the people he actually knows?

He's envious of Zoey and Elliot.

How they at least have someone other than him that likes something about them to stick around.

Jake wants his thoughts to leave him alone. He wished he could talk about everything and everyone, but...

He'll just be a burden and screw that up too.

------------------------------

Hailey was walking down the halls, trying to find Jake.

She knew he was playing a game of 'hard to get' but not in the love kind of way. The friendship kind of way.

She never knew why he preferred to be alone but understood how hard it is to be bullied. Drew and his posse were relentless in middle school.

It was Hailey's free period, one that she shared with Jake. She didn't have much to do and wanted to find her new friend. Because she was bored out of her mind.

As she sped walked around, she felt someone grab her arm, forcefully dragging her to an empty classroom, "Hey!-" Whomever it was had covered her mouth, muffling her speech.

The strange forcefully sat me at a desk and ran to lock the door. When I looked over, I saw Zoey.

Zoey looked back at Hailey after locking the door.