ii. signet rings

september 4th, 1996

september 4th, 1996

NOVA WOKE WITH A START the next morning, having spent the last night, much like her first night in hogwarts, tossing and turning into the early hours. it had been jacob's words that kept her awake; don't let him find you remotely interesting.

sighing as she walked through the almost empty common room towards the door, nova couldn't shake the feeling that she had already broken her promise to jacob, even if it was unintentionally.

how on earth was she supposed to make someone else disinterested in her? she didn't know the faintest thing about mattheo, having only spent time with him in the change between classes and occasionally making small talk in a lesson, but that was the extent of their relationship - if you could even call it that.

so how, nova thought as she sat down at the slytherin table opposite olive, could she know what would make him more or less interested in her?

"sickle for your thoughts?" olive asked through a piece of jam lathered toast.

nova sighed; had she really looked that preoccupied? "it's nothing."

olive raised an eyebrow, giving nova one of her mother-like knowing looks. "you know i can tell when you're lying."

nova almost rolled her eyes. the crain's, like the solarr's, had a genetic magical ability. unluckily for nova, olive and her brothers had inherited perhaps the most irritating gift; the ability to tell when someone is lying or telling the truth. countless times had nova made an excuse for not wanting to go to a party, only to have olive give one of her looks and mumble something about lies.

"really," nova dismissed, picking up her own piece of toast. "it's not important."

with a final glare, olive decided it would be counterproductive to push the matter, leaving nova to her thoughts as she poured another glass of orange juice, and proceeded to pour one for nova.

"what have we got today?" she asked, sliding the glass across the table.

"defence against the dark arts, then i've got herbology which means you have arithmancy then charms, i think."

olive let out a groan, dropping her head into her hands. "i've not done the homework."

"you've got homework due for today?" nova took a sip of her orange juice before shoving the last piece of her toast into her mouth.

"no, but you know what hermione granger's like. she'll remind vector, no doubt, and the rest of us will be in trouble."

"who's in trouble?" a voice from behind nova asked.