Chapter Eighteen

Waterlily scrambled to her feet and lifted her muzzle to taste the air. The air smelled of powerful fumes Waterlily did not recognize. Fireheart then raced out into the clearing and yowled as loud as he could. "Fire! Everyone out! There's a fire!"

Warriors shot up and sprinted after Fireheart as he led them out of camp. Waterlily prodded Yellowfang as she silently slept in the corner of the den. "Psst. Yellowfang. Get up! You must get up!"

Yellowfang opened her eyes slowly and quickly scrambled to her feet. "What's going on? What's that smell?"

"Fire. We must get going. Go on and follow Fireheart. I'll get Bluestar."

Yellowfang dipped her head and sprinted after the Clan. Waterlily ran up to where Bluestar laid. She was wide awake as Waterlily approached her. She looked weak and full of fear. "Please, Bluestar, you must follow me." She pleaded.

Bluestar nodded her head and for once obeyed her medicine cat. "Lead the way."

Waterlily flicked her tail and they both raced into the clearing and she saw Fireheart heading up the ravine. She trotted after him and the warriors. Smoke was everywhere around them now and Waterlily could feel her lungs beginning to collapse from the powerful fumes. She gasped, trying to catch her breath, but she pushed through and kept in pace with Bluestar. Fireheart raced through Sunningrocks. Fireheart halted just before he crossed. "Is anyone missing?" His voice rang out hoarsely through the smoke. 

"Bramblekit! Where's my kit?" Hissed Goldenflower. 

"Halftail and Patchpelt is missing too!" It was Cloudpaw. He shot up to his paws and searched around.

"They must still be in camp." Mewed Waterlily. 

"I'll find them!" Fireheart then glanced across the crowd of cats. 

"I'll go with you." Rasped Yellowfang.

"No!" Waterlily spat. "I won't let..."

"I may be old, but I can do this. You are younger and have more life."

"No, Yellowfang. What if you never come back?"

"I will." She touched her forehead to Waterlily's cheeks and closed her eyes tightly. "I promise."

Waterlily then dipped her head in agreement and they both raced back into the fire. Whitestorm lifted his tail and led the warriors across the river. Waterlily longed to race after them, but she reluctantly followed Whitestorm and trudged into the water. She shrieked from the cold, but forced herself to push through. 

Waterlily scrambled up the side of the river and shook out her fur vigorously, making the water droplets splatter everywhere. Bluestar heavily sat down near the edge of the river and lowered her head as if she was trying to sleep in a sitting position. Whitestorm sat next to her and licked his chest fur in quick motions. Longtail and Darkstripe sat a few tail-lengths ahead and fluffed out their fur in hopes they would dry quickly.

"Where did Fireheart go?" Mewed a soft voice. 

Waterlily turned to see Cinderpelt limping a bit towards her. "He went back to fetch the elders and a kit that was accidently left behind." She paused for a quick moment, seeing Cinderpelt halt and lift up her leg. "What's wrong with your leg?"

"I might have used it too hard while swimming." She confessed. 

"I'll have to look at it once we're able to get you to a medicine den. Perhaps RiverClan would be willing to let me treat you."

"No!" It was Bluestar who yowled. "No one is going into RiverClan. We are to stay here."

Waterlily wanted to bite the tongue off Bluestar. They need RiverClan's help and she would refuse it if they asked. But she kept her mouth closed and she just dipped her head in return. "Very well." She murmured. 

Waterlily sat watching the horizon, waiting for Fireheart and Yellowfang to return. It seemed like too much time had passed. She began to get worried, but then she saw two head pop up from out of the gorse tunnel. Fireheart returned with a kit in his jaws and Halftail was dragging a lifeless body. Waterlily's eyes clouded with pain as she saw the elder carrying a familiar body. Patchpelt was dead, but he was at least with the Clan so they can pay their respects and bury him. 

Fireheart let the kit scramble to his mom, and Goldenflower dipped her head in return. "Thank you, Fireheart, for saving my dear Bramblekit." She purred, brushing against him. 

Rain began to pour down on them and Fireheart looked up at silverpelt. "Rain will drown out the fire. We can go back once it goes down."

Waterlily raced up to Fireheart. "Where's Yellowfang?" She glanced around Fireheart hoping that she shows up somehow behind him.

Fireheart hesitated to answer her. He lowered his head in shame. "I...I... I couldn't save her. Bramblekit was hanging on a tree and I could only save one." He stuttered.

Waterlily closed her eyes tightly, but resisted the urge to cry and yowl like a lost kit. "It's okay. I understand." She meowed softly. 

"Is that everyone?" Mewed a familiar voice. It was Leopardfur, the deputy of RiverClan.

Fireheart dipped his head to the old she-cat. "Yes. This is everyone."

"What about that one?" She pointed with her muzzle across the river. A lifeless body laid just beside the river. 

"He is dead." Mewed Waterlily padding up to Leopardfur. 

"I am sorry to hear that. Would you like me to get him?" Her voice was calm and slow. But before Fireheart or anyone else could answer she slipped into the river and swam gracefully across. She grasped Patchpelt's limp body and swam across back into RiverClan territory. She sides heaved heavily, but she showed no signs of weakness when she dropped his down in front of Fireheart. "I can take you back to camp to bury him."

"In RiverClan?" He tilted his head to the side.

"Would you rather he lay here alone until the fire dies out?" Her calming voice turned cold and raspy. Fireheart didn't answer. "Come on. I'll show you the way to camp where you'll be safe."

Waterlily glanced at Bluestar. She was hostile towards them when she mentioned going to the medicine den. Would she deny their help, still? Bluestar reluctantly followed Leopardfur and her Clan into camp. Waterlily followed close behind and sighed with relief that ShadowClan was not on the other side of the river. Seeing Littlecloud now was the last thing she wanted when Yellowfang suspects something going on. Then she remembered that Yellowfang was not beside her like she normally was. For all she knew, Yellowfang was dead.