Chapter 1: The Beginning

Present Time

I'm standing in front of a mirror, grinning to myself. This morning, I awoke with a burst of energy coursing through my body because I finally had enough money to travel and escape from the world for a couple of weeks. I used to believe that traveling and living far away from my family were ill-conceived ideas but the fact was that I had outgrown the place that I called home. Now I realize I can't settle down, live somewhere peaceful, maybe in the village or somewhere no one can find me after I retire, marry, and have children since that's not what I want or need.

After finishing getting ready, I go to the kitchen to make myself an excellent breakfast of pancakes with blueberries and chocolate syrup. My favorite morning meal. I was eating when I remembered something someone used to say to me.

"You will never be able to settle down and live a peaceful life." The lady I used to refer to as my ride-or-die best buddy. We'd known each other for years since our moms are best friends, and it's only natural for their kids to be best friends as well, no matter how different we are. She embodies everything that a girl can dream of. Boys fling themselves in front of her to have their five seconds of attention, and everyone adores her because she's perfect like a doll, but I'm the polar opposite.

To be honest, I agree with her since after our small argument, well, I won't say dispute, it was a huge argument that resulted in us disavowing our relationship for good right there and then, but for some reason, I was fine with it.

The sound of honking jolted me out of my trance, and I immediately composed myself, rinsed my plate, grabbed my luggage, locked the door behind me, placed it in the trunk, and closed it. I take a glance around, grin, and get into the car. I'm going to miss this place.

"Where are we going miss?" the driver asked me

"To the airport," I said cheerily, and off we went.

At the airport

After checking in, I found myself in the waiting room, staring at my phone to pass the time until I saw a couple. They were hugging, and the woman's smile was so bright that I thought they had been apart for quite some time and this is the reunion she was waiting for. They then leave, holding hands. I suddenly remembered a memory I had long forgotten and had moved on from. The memories of the man I used to love taught me a valuable life lesson.

8 Years Ago, October 2021

I was 18 years old and studying law at the time.

I was dining at the cafeteria with friends while waiting for our next class.

"Hello, Lily. Have you started working on the assignment? Hazel, my friend, asked. "No, I completely forgot," I sighed. "When is the deadline?"

"It's next week. "Don't worry, you still have time," she added, smiling. Then we continue to eat. After finishing my meal, I picked up the plate and glass to place in the basin where dirty dishes are placed, and I found myself staring towards the stairs. I noticed a group of boys, but one particularly attracted my eyes.

He wore a white T-shirt, black pants, and sneakersHis hair was messy and curly, quite good looking too I might add. When I caught myself staring at him for quite some time, I snapped out of the trance, gathered myself and go to my friends who were waiting for me so that we can go to class together.

I didn't know that somehow in two months, we will meet each other again, that in February 2022, we will become group mates, that in October 2022, I would fall in love with him and in December 2022, he will break my heart for the first time.