Saving You

*This one mostly follows the events of the Scorch Trials (movie) but the end of this scene is a little different so it will actually match the little concept imagine photo I saw on Pinterest!*

I huffed as Teresa and I dug through the piles and racks of old clothes. I felt kind of dirty wearing someone else's dirty clothes, but even though we had no idea where they had been, we didn't have much of a choice.

"I'd really like to find something that at least half matches," Teresa muttered, her voice laced with bitterness and a slight touch of humor. I looked over to see her pushing through a dusty rack with some shirts.

"Amen to that," I said, shooting her a small smile.

We were in some sort of abandoned mall. There was sand and dust everywhere. When we had first come in, Minho had noticed footprints, indicating that someone had been here at some point after it was abandoned, but we hadn't found anyone yet. Thomas and Minho had run off somewhere - looking for a way to turn on the lights, I think. The rest of the Gladers, including Teresa and myself, were spread out through the building.

We were mostly in the same general area, though.

"I'm gonna check the next room over," I said, deciding I wasn't gonna find anything in that specific room. Teresa nodded to me, acknowledging that she had heard me.

"I'll be right behind you once I get through this rack."

There wasn't much left on it. I nodded and walked through the dark doorway. I had a flashlight in my hand - I had found it in a drawer several minutes before. I walked into the room, holding the light up and shining it around the room.

I felt my heart jump to my throat and my stomach drop when my light landed on a person standing next to the wall. I quickly realized it was just a mannequin, but I couldn't stop the small gasp that jumped from my lips.

"Are you alright?" I heard Newt's deep voice call out urgently. I turned a little to see him looking at me from a couple yards away. He was a room over, watching through the doorway. He had already made it halfway to his feet by the time I pulled myself together and gave a response.

"Yeah," I croaked quietly. I wasn't sure if he had heard me so I gave a slight nod. Teresa had run over when I gasped, so she was at my side. Newt nodded to himself, lowering back to the ground but not taking his eyes off of me.

"What happened?" Teresa whispered. I just shook my head and smiled a little at my jumpiness. I shined my light back at the mannequin and she followed it with her eyes, tensing when she saw it. She quickly composed herself, realizing what it was. She half sighed, half laughed out a quick, "Oh."

We both smiled a little, walking into the room to find something to change into.

We finally found decently okay clothes, changing in a room nearby. Neither of us wanted to go off on our own, so we decided to share a room instead of finding a second one. We didn't really talk as we got changed.

When we finished, we walked out to where Newt and Frypan were. They were surrounded by large piles of junk - digging through for anything useful. I watches as Newt grabbed a metal bottle from one of the piles, unscrewing the lid to see if there was anything in it.

When we got to them, we both kneeled down to help looking for anything we could use.

"Here," Newt said, handing me a small backpack. He offered one to Teresa as well before getting back to what he was doing. "We found a bunch and grabbed one for each of you."

"Thanks," I mumbled, setting it down next to me.

We were mostly silent as we dug through the piles. I found a granola bar, a bag of trail mix, and an empty metal water bottle. I also found a small pocket knife. Before long, I got up, exploring other areas. I was digging through the drawers of a small desk, checking each one. I smiled to myself when I found a small pistol in the back of one.